150 Faststrike Want to go to premixing

cub48

Seaman
I know there are threads everywhere about this subject. But i have not found one that answers the questions i have. First 1998 150 Johnson Faststrike. All like it came from the factory. VRO is still working But is 13 years old. First question everyone said plug oil line off. Is it ok to plug it where the bulb is at or at the place where the line connects to the outside of the motor or at the VRO itself. Do you disconnect the oil tank by cutting the wires and leaving them open or tie them together? Color of the wires on the VRO that has to be cut? Do you tie together or leave open? Fuel pump still works good will unhooking the oil side affect the fuel side? Does this motor have a pulse hose or is the vro bolted to the crankcase? I know about premixing my boat before was a premix. Love the VRO but i don't have 3000.00 if it goes out and burns the engine out. Another thing why is it a big no no putting a electric fuel pump on an outboard? The newer injected engines have an electric fuel pump don't they.Cub48

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 Faststrike Want to go to premixing

Find the wires going to the oil tank and just disconnect them. Next disconnect the wires going to the vro. These wires have quick disconnects. Next pull the oil line off of the vro and put a cap on the vro. DON'T put an electric fuel pump on it as it is a fire hazard. On the newer mtrs with electric fuel pumps they are shut off by the Emm if the mtr stops running. Run 50:1 fuel mix for a time before doing this.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

DON'T put an electric fuel pump on it as it is a fire hazard

Just for clarification, unless the fuel pump used is a puller style, it has to be mounted below the fuel tank or it won't pull enough fuel during periods of high demand. The stock pump is a puller. The Holly Red Marine is a pusher and can be used but requires a special setup so you don't starve the motor, lean it out and burn it up. The fire hazard part is mounting the pump below the fuel tank meaning it will probably end up in the bilge and that's illegal. There are several afternmarket surge tank systems that work just fine and are perfectly safe.

redfish20

Recruit

Just because your engine is 13 years doesn't mean you need to disconnect the VRO. I have had the 150 loopers for years and NEVER had a VRO problem. I think you are looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.