Gluvit before vinegar wash ?

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm getting ready to start painting my 17 Starcraft C.C I took off all the paint and now I want to gulvit the outside. I know everyone says to put it on the inside,I'm going to do that also but just want the extra protection. Should I vinegar wash the hull before I pull down the Gluvit. Can I vinegar wash it twice and do it again after I gluvit it. Then use the self etching primer. Does it really matter to over kill. I just want to do it right so it lasts a long time without any problems down the road.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gluvit before vinegar wash ?

Acid washing the aluminum is ALWAYS a good idea anytime you want something to adhere to it. IMHO you can't OVER KILL it. Are you ENTIRE outside hull with Gluvit??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's good. I's say that you're plan is prett much spot on.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Paint and primer does not like to stick to gluvit.

The hull design of the starcraft is made with ONE sheet of aluminum riveted up both sides and in the bow. There will be no extra protection using it on the outside rivets......but if you must. One quart size can will do all the seams and rivets from the inside nicely.

Yes, you can vinegar wash but it will not afford any more protection. The "self etching primer" will not help as much as the proper aluminum treatments. If you are painting over a painted hull then only a spray coating of zinc chromate is needed on the bare spots. The rustoleum and other brand self etching primer will not adhere to the gluvit very well. It needs to be primer designed for epoxy.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Self Etching Primer is NOT needed on anything but BARE ALUMINUM. Gluvit is an Epoxy product as Bob points out but Rustoleums Bare Metal primer will adhere to it quite well as well as to the Self etching primer. I do agree that appying gluvit to the outside of the boat is not really needed but other have done it and it will not HURT anything. I would sand the Gluvit with 180 grit after the acid wash and prior to priming it. The vinegar wash is NOT used to add protection to the boat but rather to aid in removing any grease or adverse foreign matter on the aluminum that could affect adhesion.