original engine serial number

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If the original engine has been replaced, is there another location to find the Mercruiser serial number? I am able to find the basic part lists for Merc888 Ford 302, 1971, but some parts list have a sub designation for "#377490 and up" or "#377489 and below" and some of the parts numbers are a little different. The outdrive number is 3107569. The current engine if about three years, according to the guy I bought the boat from, and was purchased at kragen.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: original engine serial number

rebars1, The 888 drives were used 1971 thru 1977,and started with #3107569.The 888 engines were used 1971 thru 1977,and started with #3108723.I think this would indicate the parts you seek would be #377489 and below.Unless of course they came with the newer motor.<br /><br />Hope this helps !<br /><br />DHP

rebars1

Thanks for the response DHPMARINE. Could you please double check the number you listed for the engines? It seems too high (7 digits). I agree that my original number was probably less than 377489 because of an engine mount parts diagram that I found that matches mine with the same "377489 and below" stipulation.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Don S would be able to add more info, but if memory serves me correctly, the 888's had different outdrive shift set-ups around serial number 378xxxx. Below that number had a shift cable measurement of 5 7/8" and used different linkage and internal shift components than the gearcases above that number. The newer version had a shorter reverse adjustment slot and a cable setting of 6".<br /><br /> Back then a lot of "mechanics" got screwed up when trying to set up the shift linkage, and/or rebuild the gearcaaes if they did not know of the changes.

rebars1

Thanks seahorse. I just wondering if the serial number was related only to the engine, or to the setup that bolts to it. I had been trying to find a shift cutout switch and noticed that, while most of the parts on the shift plate had the same numbers for both ranges of engine serial number,the switch part numbers were different. Bondo had an old switch from a ford351 setup (I have a 302). I decided that, although the switch plate was different, and since the pivot cam arm was the same number as mine, that it should work OK. It's installed and works on muffs but has yet to be lake tested.