not starting 470

max2fastboat

Cadet
:mad:motor turns over begins to start and as soon as I let go of the key it dies

checked the wire coil to choke no problems wire rings out OK with a meter.
gas in the carb, in fact I had a flame shoot out of the carb well it was turning.

any help?????????:eek:

Do all boats mock you when not running

franktrav

Seaman
Re: not starting 470

flame shoot out of carb??...id be checkin to make sure you have the plug wires in the correct firing order at dist. cap
and check ignition timing

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As a test run a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil. (do NOT leave it connected for more than a few minutes of testing).
If the engine now starts and continues to run, you have lost your 'run' connection either from the ignition switch or the starter solenoid.

max2fastboat

Cadet

thanks I'll give it a try but how about the flame out of the carb. one freind said that it maybe the timing my of jumped. do to the
flame. what do you think.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do the test Eddie described. This gives you a full 12V to coil same as when starting. If it runs with the jumper,as Eddie says you may have lost continuity in the resistor wire(run) circuit OR any one of the ignition components :coil or condensor or points are faulty. Sometimes if points are gapped poorly this symptom can be the result. Might just need adjusting/filing.

max2fastboat

Cadet

thanks guys I did the jumper thing an the motor started, but that was the last turn for my starter. I took my starter to my local shop
and had it tested and its died. my new question is was it the started or once I get my new starter will I still be looking for the problem and how do I chase it down??

In that engine manual above, there's a wiring diagram section. The starter gives the coil power while engine is cranking only, when key is released it receives power from the electric choke THRU the purple (resistance wire). as indicated in the diagram. It is a special wire to reduce voltage down.

Print out that diagram and see what you actually have there.

I believe you still have an issue there besides the starter rebuild.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The starter gives the coil power while engine is cranking only, when key is released it receives power from the electric choke THRU the purple (resistance wire). as indicated in the diagram. It is a special wire to reduce voltage down.

Actually on a 470 is a little different than other motors in that the coil gets its voltage from the slave solenoid (purple/yellow wire) during starting.

max2fastboat

Cadet

Ok here we go I now have a new starter, run great but I still have the problem. So I replaced the purple (resistance wire). still the same
motor runs the best it's ever with a jumper, remove the jumper motor stops. whats next?????? slave solenoid bad??? on this engine purple/yellow wire go's coil to the starter?? yellow/red stater to soleniod nothing back to the coil ????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do this.
Remove the purple wire (Not purple/yellow) from the + terminal of your coil.
Turn the ignition switch to the run position.
With your DVM, on DC volts, hook your red test lead to the purple wire, and the black test lead to a good ground.
What is the voltage..... write it down
Now hook you meter to the batteries + and - terminals with your meter. What is it's voltage..... write it down also.
Shut off the ignition switch and report back here with the results.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

whats next?????? slave solenoid bad??? on this engine purple/yellow wire go's coil to the starter?? yellow/red stater to soleniod nothing back to the coil ????

Your slave is fine, and the wiring is not correct, but it is OK. Your problem is with the run ignition to the coil. Do as Don asks.

max2fastboat

Cadet

Ok I row out to the old sow and checked the voltage as order by Don and batteries by the DC scale show to be OK 189 on the scale.
the purple wire is 0 nothing. I even checked the wire down stream a the first wire juction. Now what????? I tell you when I jump
out the coil she's never run better.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK download the manual here: http://www.4shared.com/document/zTbCbkDD/Service_Manual_08.html Go to the wiring diagrams section. Now, do the gauges work when you turn the ignition to on? If they do you may have a problem with the plug shown in the diagram. find it and check for corrosion. With the switch on you should have 12V on pin #5 that goes to the choke and the resistance wire to the coil. Your problem is somewhere in the wiring. If your gauges do not work look at the ignition switch. Good luck

max2fastboat

Cadet

well I replaced the ignition switch not that, ran a new wire up from the engine and she came to life but no gauges
it was the 12" wire from the tack to the ignition.

Thank you all for your great help everybody

Ok I row out to the old sow and checked the voltage as order by Don and batteries by the DC scale show to be OK 189 on the scale.
the purple wire is 0 nothing. I even checked the wire down stream a the first wire juction. Now what????? I tell you when I jump
out the coil she's never run better.

How is that ok? you have 189 DC volts on a 12 volt system? You must have that meter on the wrong setting. We are trying to test for DC volts, and with the engine off, you should be getting somewhere between 11 and 12.8 volts or so.