force 40 hard to turn over

t-wood

Cadet
Hi well i have fixed the charging system. Replaced battery. Replaced 2 exhaust plate gaskets. Getting really excited to get my pontoon back on the water. Only now it seems like to starter is having a hard time turning the motor. Before these other problems it started really easily. Fired right up no delay. Now it sounds as if the started doesn't have the power to do it and thats right after charging the new battery overnight. I had to turn it a few times with the rope and then it starter was able to turn it over and start it. Bought this a few months ago. Before i purchased it i had compresson checked and he looked at the lower unit. Things checked out so i bought it. Oh and the old owner repaced the starter as it was dead. Any ideas?

fucawi

Banned
Re: force 40 hard to turn over

are your starter cables up to the job ? ..if you can check the battery volts when cranking it should not dip below 11.5v and then check at the starter it should not be more than 1/2v less ...Is the solenoid good ? Drop acrross its contacts 0.25 max

t-wood

Cadet
Re: force 40 hard to turn over

I guess it must have been me. Impatiently trying to start it standing on the ground nest to it. I sat in the seat turned the key to on waited 30 sec and it fired right up. I didn't choke it. I am used to doing this with my diesel truck. It died a couple of times at an idle while on the lake today. Thought i would use some more of the fuel in the tank and then try seafoam. I did notice today that the rpm gauge has stopped working again. Although my voltmeter is working. Thanks for all of the help on this forum! My family and i had a great day at the lake.