replacing rivits on 18 ss

williamk12

Cadet
I just lost three rivets on the stern, what is the best way to replace them ? Can't get to the inside without some major work of pulling the gas tank etc. whats the best and easiest way. all three are under the water line.
any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanx

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer
Re: replacing rivits on 18 ss

You can get a pop rivet that has a sealed dome.
I think it's 3/16" diameter not sure about the length.
Put sealant (3m5200 or stuff meant for under the waterline) on the rivet head and pop it in.

Do a search on iboats and the topic will come up.
GLG

williamk12

Cadet

GLG
have you done this before ? I just ordered 3/16 closed end blind rivets all alum from graingers length was .437 button style. I have a cheapo rivet gun I borrowed from my neighbor, I have 3m 5200 and a wire wheel to clean with... can I use acetone or vinegar and water to clean before popping the rivets in ? Do you have any other tips or advise before I start, i'm a little nervious about drilling out old rivets as I believe the old rivets are 5/32.. also after further close inspection i've noticed roughly 25 rivets with the heads gone, should I replace them also ?
I appreciate any and all help

thanx
Bill

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

GLG
have you done this before ? I just ordered 3/16 closed end blind rivets all alum from graingers length was .437 button style.
3/16 is what you want... not sure what the legnth is but mine seem to be just over 1/2 inch.. Perhaps others can comment.
I have a cheapo rivet gun I borrowed from my neighbor, I have 3m 5200 and a wire wheel to clean with... can I use acetone or vinegar and water to clean before popping the rivets in ?
Wire wheel should clean as much as you need.
Do you have any other tips or advise before I start, i'm a little nervious about drilling out old rivets as I believe the old rivets are 5/32..

Yup bring a center punch and hammer to mark the rivet so your drill is true. Breath deep my friend it's not hard. Don't know about 5/32 I thought they were 3/16.

also after further close inspection i've noticed roughly 25 rivets with the heads gone, should I replace them also ?
Good you found those as they will work themselves out and leak.
I appreciate any and all help
thanx
Bill
Your welcome.

After you have finished do a water in the hull test. Mark all the leakers and fix them same, same. You may have to revisit the rivets from time to time but I turned my boat from the "bilge pump running way to often" to a "cup or two of water at the end of the day" kind of thing.

GLG:)

Lt.

Recruit

Thanks for the posting, doi'n the same project myself and needed the info.