Low RPM's on 135 Evinrude V4

iloveketchup

Seaman
Engine:

1976 135 HP V4 Evinrude

problem:

i repowered a boat with this engine. After going out, i discovered the engine had a counter rotating gearset. I believe the way the throttle lever works, one would never get full throttle in forward gear with this configuration. I bought a counter rotating prop and problem solved. With the old configuration i'd only get about ~4k RPM's. It would plane, but i could tell not full throttle

On the way back in from the last run the engine started running strange and cut down to about 2,200 rpm all the way back in. I did put on an inline fuel filter i believe AFTER this. I didn't have one on this engine and i pulled a good one i just bought for another engine (VRO). So i don't think it is the cause but figured i'd mention it.

I later tested compression it was all good ~100 PSI +/- 10. I took it out again and if i'd toss it quickly into forward, the engine would die out sometimes.

After reversing the prop, the same thing was happening.

What could this be? Fuel starvation? Carburetor issue? Fuel pump? Bad gas? Water in gas?

Suggestions?

Rebuilt Fuel pump, removed fuel inline filter, ran again, still 2100 RPM (video below)

One item i'd be wondering is if the shift rod (threaded) down to the lower unit is miss adjusted can/does that have impact to max throttle in some strange way? It shifts into forward and reverse okay but i think it's not perfectly adjusted. I threaded it down far as i could and just backed it off enough to get it hooked in maybe a half turn?

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Low RPM's on 135 Evinrude V4

I'd check for spark next...

iloveketchup

Seaman
Re: Low RPM's on 135 Evinrude V4

I'd check for spark next...

if each wire is pulled, the engine changes tone (simple check).

Do you have a link on how else i might check this.

I rebuilt the fuel pump today (gaskets, filter seal, rubber diaphram) and it runs the same.