Too Warm

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Brief post because I pretty much know what's going to happen next. Just curious...

We have had flooding problems here this year, so have not run a 4.3 Mercruiser I just bought last fall until this weekend.

Temp rose quickly to 220 and stayed there. Ran it a little and it would fluctuate..drop a little if you went up on plane, rise a little at idle.

I was really looking for a temp of 180 or so, so we shut it down and quit boating.

I don't know what's technically "overheating", but know 220 is too hot. What is likely cause of this: thermostat? water pump?

It's a nice boat and I don't want to ball it up, so I'll probably take it into the local shop Mon. after the weekenders leave town:)

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Too Warm

How about putting in a new impeller... should do the trick. Even if it doesn't, you will know the impeller is fresh. And yes, 220 is overheating, for a boat. What year a boat we talking about?

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Too Warm

I would say your ok. The guide tube for thethe water pickup might be melted ... but you will change that when you do an impeller.