72 Glastron 130hp Volvo Motor pre purchase inspection help

cferro

Cadet
Hey Guys...
Im thinking of buying a 72 Glastron inboard with a 130hp Volvo that hasnt been run in 3 years..

just had some questions..

the owner really has no mechanical experience

Its been winterized..so im assuming there is no oil in the case? is that usually the case?
1)What kind of oil does it take so i can try to start it?

2)Does it require a boot for water cooling to start it on land? or is there another type of input for water cooling..or maybe it isnt water cooled at all? mmm I dont know..It is a 4 stroke though it has seperate oil and gas. need help with this one.

3)What kind of compression values am i looking for when testing the compression.

4) any other issues I should try to look for with this motor

Thanks Again in Advance for your help

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 72 Glastron 130hp Volvo Motor pre purchase inspection help

Its been winterized..so im assuming there is no oil in the case? is that usually the case?
1)What kind of oil does it take so i can try to start it?

Part of a winterization is usually changing the oil, not draining the oil. Check the oil when you look at it. If it needs oil, then strait 30 or 40 weight DETERGENT (do not use NON detergent) will be what the engine needs.

2)Does it require a boot for water cooling to start it on land? or is there another type of input for water cooling..or maybe it isn't water cooled at all? mmm I dont know..It is a 4 stroke though it has separate oil and gas. need help with this one.

Don't know what you mean by "boot", perhaps muffs? Yes, you will need muffs with a running garden hose (fully on) to start the engine. The engine is water cooled (it's the same block and head as what is used in Volvo automobiles of the era), and with out water, the impeller on the front of the engine will burn up in about 20 seconds.

3)What kind of compression values am i looking for when testing the compression.
It depends on which AQ model the engine is. If its an AQ130A, Volvo specifies 170-200. If it's an AQ130B, Volvo specifies 145-170. If it's an AQ130C, Volvo Specifies 170-200. If the compression is a little low, it may still run decent. The main thing is that all the cylinders are with-in 10% of each other.

4) any other issues I should try to look for with this motor

I would make sure that the impeller has been recently changed. It also appears that the head has been off, and either been to a machine shop, or replaced. That can be a good thing, or may be an issue. When you run the engine, keep an eye on your oil pressure.

You should also check the condition of the hull it's self. If the deck has any soft spots, thats a red flag for rot, and I can bet you dollars to donuts it's not just the deck that would need to be replaced. You need to check the stingers and transom too.

PM me your email address, and I can send you the Volvo Penta shop manual for the engine in PDF form. It will be a valuable tool if you end up buying this boat.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just looking at the pics I gotta wonder how he has the tilt motor wired, there is no relay box or limit switch on it.
I don't believe that fuel gauge is approved either, and I doubt that is marine rated fuel hose on there. It is a nice clean powerplant though

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a download link for the Volvo AQ130 manual. Glastron had a habit of changing the OEM Volvo to a Glastron setup on some things. OF course you can't get info on those items any more.

http://www.4shared.com/file/59747156/6c065c44/AQ130_thru_170_Serv_Man.html

What outdrive does it have? You can download a manual for it too when you find out, just go here.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

I wouldn't buy that boat without hearing it run and being able to listening to the drive and bearings in the flywheel housing for growling noises. Things start getting expensive to fix at that point.

cferro

Cadet

Thanks so much for your help on this...very useful info!!...This shop manual will be extremely helpful as well. Ill let you guys know how it turns out tomorrow

thanks again

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don

I've got to ask why the 130D is not included in that manual, or do you have a link to it?

cferro

Cadet

Just an update..
The motor was a complete flop...couldnt even get it running