aq125b volvo problems

east wind

Recruit
when turning hard right the motor makes a grinding sound. Starting to do it when you turn left as well. From reading posts on here I thought that it would be the U joints. But when I got to them they look okay. The shaft that is attached to the U joints that goes through to the engine has play in it. So I am thinking bearings. What I am wondering is how to get at them. I loosened the six hexagon bolts that are attached to the flywheel housing (I think that is what it is called) and was going to pull the entire unit out. But thought that I should get a second opinion. I am going to the library to see if they have a manual. Might help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: aq125b volvo problems

That is called the primary drive shaft. On your engine it has a single bearing. To replace it, remove the drives upper gear box, then you must pull the engine and flwheel cover from the boat. Then you can remove the flywheel cover in order to press (deadblow mallet) the shaft and bearing out of the housing after removing the snap rings.

east wind

Recruit

Thanks for your reply. I have removed the upper gear box. All I have now is the U joints and the drive shaft, which are connected. Coming through the flywheel cover. Sounds like I will need to pull the engine out next. I will take a picture just to help make sure I understand. Thanks again.

east wind

Recruit

View attachment 108238View attachment 108239
Hey I have attached two pictures. This may be a dump question but the picture of the ujoints, primary drive shaft and flywheel cover will that entire unit come through the inside of the boat when I remove the six bolts and pull the engine. Or will it seperate and stay on the outside. As well the other picture is, I think where the engine attaches to the bottom bellow through a housing. Will it just "pop" off when I pull the engine, or do I have to remove something else other than the six bolts by the flywheel cover. Looks like just a rubber ring that helps seal the connections.

keithc81

Seaman Apprentice

When you pull the motor the upper gear box should be removed first with the u-joints. The rest of it will come through with the motor. Yes there is two rubber rings on each side of the transom shield that seal the flywheel housing. The bottom bellow does not need to be removed, that is for the exhaust and you can disconnect that on the motor side.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pics don't work.

east wind

Recruit

the ujoints are attached to the primary drive shaft. can they be pulled with the motor or do i need to sperate them. I posted two pictures if they help.