5 HP Gamefisher wont stay running

GLTECH

Cadet
I have a mid 80's 5HP gamefisher that wont stay running. I replaced fuel pump (duckbill) and reed valve in carb. it still runs until gas is used up in carb. bowl. I have to pump bulb to fill carb again to start it. It seems to lose prime. I replace oring on hose fitting also. Any suggestions?

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 5 HP Gamefisher wont stay running

Sounds like you still have a fuel delivery problem. Go through your fuel sys from the tank to the carb. Check for crud in gas tank, check/replace fuel filters, make sure all connections are tight and not sucking air. Is your fuel tank vented right? Recheck the fuel pump to make sure it's operating like it's supposed to. I recomend installing a clear glass fuel filter with a replaceable element in a horizontal position under the engine cowling, i got mine at wally world. This lets you see how well the fuel pump is working and also lets you see if any crap is getting past your main fuel/water sepperator/filter.

Red

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hey GLTECH

Well , did you...

1) Put the fuel pump element "Duck Bill" on a 45 degree angle?

2) Use a 11/64" drill bit to set the float level?

3) Cleaned the carb %110, welch plug too?

4) Use a complete carb kit when you rebuilt the carb?

5) Also check your primer assembly, try a diffrent one. Check valve in that can get screwy at times.

Whats the reed valve in the carb?

Lemme know how you made out or have other questions.

BTW whats your model number? Is this an ESKA?

EDIT!!! Losing prime is making me lean towards #5. Before you dig back into the motor/carb try a different primer assembly first to rule that out. Then if that doesn't work we'll focus on the carb and such.

DamianJP

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thing to check is the height difference between the motor and the gas tank.The tank should be as high as possible to the motor since that little duck bill pump dosen't create a lot of suction.

Damian - It sounds like you have some experience with this motor. LOL

GLTECH

Cadet

Damian, Thanks for your advice.
I did do steps #1,3 & 4. I also changed the Orings on the fuel hose quick connector.I also replaced the fuel line from the connector to the carb inside the motor. I was wondering about the check valve in the gas cap? This motor came with a small gas tank with the hose clamped to the gas cap and a quick connector on the other end, which attaches to the outboard. The cap has the breather vent with a knob- screw to open/close and a check valve. I read online somewhere that the caps go bad. I may have to get another tank and hose with primer bulb. In any case, I will go that route and let you know. I believe that this motor was built by Eska. The model # is 217586614. The mylar reed valve is in the carb (I replaced it). The old carb parts looked like new, so replacing them probably was not necessary.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Cool , yeah try and try a whole new tank/primer setup and see if it goes away.
Did ya set the float level with the 11/64" drill bit?

For Schematics

Enter you model number into
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/
for full schematics.

Good sites...

Join the yahoo ESKA group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eskaoutboards/

Good for parts
http://www.boatsportandtackle.com/servlet/StoreFront

Bunch of ESKA Info
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...ources-online&

For Manuals
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Enter...
Name: Marshall
Password:public

DamianJP

M

mrcrabs

The mylar reed valve is in the carb (I replaced it).

are you sure you replaced a "mylar reed valve"?:confused::confused:
me thinks you need a education like in a basic understanding of the 2 cycle engine and its basic parts so that these guys might actually be able to help you.

GLTECH

Cadet

Well Like I said MRCRABS There is a MYLAR REED VALVE IN THESE CARBS. IT IS A FLAT DIE CUT MYLAR VALVE . YEP Maybe you need to finish grade school, you seem quite illiterate based on your post. " Me thinks"

By the way Damian, the problem turned out to be the gas tank cap which had a bad check valve. I relaced the primer bulb with one that has a check valve and switched tanks. Beware of these gas tanks with caps , such as this. I was able to drill it out and screw a hose fitting into the bottom of the cap, attach the fuel pickup hose to that fitting. This by-passes that valve and relies on the new primer bulb to keep the fuel flowing without losing prime.

M

mrcrabs

[ you seem quite illiterate based on your post.

I'm quite offended by your insult GLTECH, "me thinks" you have hurt me feelings, :(

now show me a picture of your myler reed valve in the tecumseh carb :confused: I have never saw a Tecumseh carb with a reed valve inside it unless it could be a third port version I have never seen and I don't know of any Eska made model that was of the third port design.
I won't despute the mylar reed but I do know mylar was abandoned because of sealing problems and all AV520- 817's used a reed cage, a steel version was the factory updated replacement for the mylar .

YEP Maybe you need to finish grade school
Grade school was so boring I quit to go to hell. Nice warm place hell, maybe you will visit there sometime eh?, ;)

GLTECH

Cadet

[ you seem quite illiterate based on your post./QUOTE]

I'm quite offended by your insult GLTECH, "me thinks" you have hurt me feelings, :(

now show me a picture of your myler reed valve in the tecumseh carb :confused: I have never saw a Tecumseh carb with a reed valve inside it unless it could be a third port version I have never seen and I don't know of any Eska made model that was of the third port design.
I won't despute the mylar reed but I do know mylar was abandoned because of sealing problems and all AV520- 817's used a reed cage, a steel version was the factory updated replacement for the mylar .

Grade school was so boring I quit to go to hell. Nice warm place hell, maybe you will visit there sometime eh?, ;)

Your comment about me needing an education on 2 cycle engines was rude, so you had it coming.
As far as the mylar valve you maybe correct that it may have been redesigned by tecumseh. They don't last.
If I tear it down again I will post pictures, but right now I want to take my granson fishing.

As far as visiting Hell. I don't plan to. I spent 2 years in a place in Asia in 1968 through 1970. That was close enough to what Hell must be like and it was warm there too.

M

mrcrabs

I will be waiting to see those pics of the reeds in the carb,

your insults mean nothing to me. :)

Salt4Life

Cadet

d63f3183.jpg

M

mrcrabs

thats no mylar reed valve...its the flapper valve and its part of the fuel pump system...and that one is worn and dried out and needs replaced.

someone need to get a education like I said....and save the silly Amen's for church until you do cause it an't over yet....me thinks

Frequently Asked Mylar Film Questions:
What is Mylar / What is Mylar film?
Is Mylar the same product as polyester film? Or even just plastic film?
What types of Mylar are available?
Are all types of Mylar film / Mylar sheets available in all finishes and thickness?
1. What is Mylar / What is Mylar film?

Mylar? is Dupont / Taijjin's branded for polyester / plastic film, manufactured in a variety of different combinations of types, finishes, and thicknesses.

2. Is Mylar the same product as polyester film or even just plastic film?

The word "Mylar" is often used to generically refer to plastic film. However:

Mylar is a registered trademark owned by Dupont Tejjin Films for a specific family of products made from the resin Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET).
The true generic term for this material is polyester film.

thin polyester will melt like butter in a short time in a gas environment so guess again genius's ;)