Year Long Project - Maiden Voyage/Beach Trip 1 Week - Motor Dies Beyond Idle

Rumz

Cadet
Johnson 1975 85hp V4 - I have a Factory Service Manaual

Tried to start her for the first time, took a little while and only would start with warm up lever around midway. Runs fairly rough, lot of vibration/ shakes the boat a bit - still on trailer. As I continue to push the warm up lever down to get it to where it would go into gear, the motor dies.

Both cards fully rebuilt
All new fuel lines
Reeds in good shape
New fuel filter
New Plugs
New gas, tank filter clear

Could this be a timing issue? It seems like it might be missing.
The rpm don't sound smooth and I don't get why it won't start with the warm up lever pulled up fully and dies when it is pushed all the way down. Only runs in the middle and very roughly.

This boat ran great for years, I fogged it, it sat for 7 years and now it doesn't.

Please help, I am about 500 hours into rebuilding the boat, all ready for our family beach trip next week minus a running engine. Damn details will kill ya.

Rumz

PNW Driver

Seaman
Re: Year Long Project - Maiden Voyage/Beach Trip 1 Week - Motor Dies Beyond Idle

How strong is your spark? Do you have spark on all four?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Year Long Project - Maiden Voyage/Beach Trip 1 Week - Motor Dies Beyond Idle

Compression ok?

Rumz

Cadet

I have a screw in compression tester, I will check it tomorrow and buy something from the auto parts store to check the spark by myself, I usually just hold it to the block, can't with ignition 6 feet away.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You need to get an air gap spark tester and set it to 7/16" air gap. The spark should be bright blue.

Rumz

Cadet

I get spark in the beginning and end of cranking the motor, no visible spark if I let the flywheel spin for a moment?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

So you only get spark when you turn the key to start cranking and when you turn the key to off?
You have no spark when you hold the key in the start position?

Rumz

Cadet

That is correct, 1 or 2 sparks in the beginning of the cranking cycle, 1spark as I cut off the starter with the ignition, no sparks as the flywheel spins after cranking for about 2 seconds.

Cyl1 100 psi wet plug
Cyl 2 110 psi wet plug
Cyl 3 100 psi dry plug
Cyl 4 100 psi wet plug

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Are you checking the spark with the plugs in or out??

Rumz

Cadet

Plugs are in. Checking with a air gap set to 7/16. I will post s videos of it running as soon as the second one uploads to youtube

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Is that on all the cylinders? Or maybe a couple of them, sounds like a coil(s) is going bad or is bad...

Rumz

Cadet

All cylinders

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I would wounder about a bad ignition switch, only passing voltage to the ignition system when the contacts are in a certain position. You might try disconnecting the kill circuit and retest the spark.

Rumz

Cadet

I am also noticing fuel coming out of the carbs after shutting down the motor, I don't know what that indicates.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Float levels a little to high?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I like Daviet's idea about the ignition switch. Have you checked it with the plugs out?

Rumz

Cadet

I set the floats level by the manual. I am wondering what else could cause fuel to come out the front of the after it shuts down. If it is not being burned in the cylinder could it make its was back out of the carbs. I am considering pulling them both off to verify everything but I was meticulous when I did it the first time so I am hesitant.