2001 Johnson 70 Idle Problem

bert70

Recruit
I have a 2001 70hp that starts and runs great. The problem is that after running on plane and slowing down coming in to a dock the boat won't idle. It sputters and acts like it is loading up and cuts off. It restarts as soon as you touch the key but dies as soon as it is put in gear. I've rebuilt the carbs and synced the carbs. I don't know what to do next, any suggestions are apperciated.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 Johnson 70 Idle Problem

Could be a fuel issue, check for loose fuel connections where you might be sucking in air. Also are your pumps pumping fuel well at low speeds? A good thing to do is to get a clear glass fuel filter with a replaceable element (i got mine at wally world) and install it horizontolly under your cowling. This will allow you to see the fuel flow so you know if your pumps are doing good as well as letting you see if any crap is getting past your main fuel/water sepperator/filter. After looking into fuel issues, maybe think about overheated electronics on the motor.

Red

bert70

Recruit
Re: 2001 Johnson 70 Idle Problem

All connections are tight. I put a new fuel filter on and it doesn't seem like any debri it. I'm soaking the carbs right now,going to go thru them one more time to make sure nothing has gotten in them.