1953 evinrude superfastwin

fastwin53

Cadet
hey guys new to this site but have gotten plenty of info here b4.....heres my situation....last year i purchased a 14 foot aluminum boat with trailer.....picked up my dads 1953 evinrude 15 horse...which has been totally rebuilt 25 years ago.....this is what happened..the guy who rebuilt it was a marine mechanic and a friend of my dads,had put the fuel bowl (glass half), back on with the screws in the wrong holes i assume and the screw in the back side was too long and went up and cracked the bowl.....heres where it gets messed....so he used some sort of appoxy to repair it....dad takes it up north and it was fine the first day but began to leak fuel...dad gets pissed off and sets the motor aside and rents some other motor.....the motor returns home still leaking condition,,sets it aside to get a hold of guy who worked on it....things get delayed and delayed.....motor sits in the garage for 25 years untouched...i get wind that dad still has it and i began to look it over,,,i find a guy close to home that has the same motor for sale..i go see him with the one i picked up from dad.....new guy tells me that the wires are shot the coils are done points are rotten etc etc...which is normal for sitting so long...anyway he tells me he can change out the parts from his to dads and i would go get j6c i think spark plugs....a few weeks later he calls me and says its ready and come over and we will try and fire the old girl up...so i go up and put it in the tank prime the fuel check for leaks all good pull the plugs to check for lube....shes ready,,,,pull the cord slowly all the way out a few times....take a deep breath and giver....3rd pull she fires up and spits and sputters......play with it some more, runs decent so i'm happy...here's the problem now i also had him change the 53 carb for a solid one which is out of a 54 that i found at a marina....the problem is that the high speed knob needle from the 54 is too short and wont reach through the cowl so i had no choice but to put the 53 needle back in.....so now when i'm on the lake and open it up (which i forgot to mention goes like hell) i have to set the sweet spot but it backs off by itself....running 50:1 i know it should be 24:1 but i haven't tried that mixture yet...50:1 is around 4.5 on the dial...but it backs off from i assume vibration....love the motor and the performance but the high speed knob is a pain in the ***.....need some help....ran it three weeks ago for the fisrt time about 30 miles around the french river for a week and been trying to figure this thing out ever since any advice would be appreciated.....thanks in advance.......fastwin53

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1953 evinrude superfastwin

Maybe put a little teflon tape on the threads to tighten it up and keep it from backing off. Just make sure you dont over do it and do it neatly so none comes off and gets into your engine.

Red

NHGuy

Captain

I think it's time to start fabricating what you need. Sounds great though.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Wait! HOLD IT! Stop! That 24:1 fuel mix is the amount of oil you put in the gas. 5.3 ozs per gallon.I hope your putting oil in the gas.??The setting on the high speed needle valve is what ever setting runs best the numbers are only a reference point.Usually suggested to set it at its best point just slightly toward rich but not enough to change the performance.Then loosen the knob and set at the mid point.
I believe there is a packing for it that is still available at your BRP dealer you may have to find out the part number.May also be in the carb repair kit.I'd be inclined to make a packing out of the piece of leather.In an ideal setup the 15 will run about 25 mph.

fastwin53

Cadet

well of coarse there is oil in the gas.....if original post was read through you will know that....i tried putting a small washer in the middle if the dial and then the screw,but that didnt help i was gonna try changing the needle back to the 54 as i never did actually see for myself that it was too short....the tips of both needles are different.....i also have the other 15 horse just needs coils, wires and a carb.....its in great shape...i was offered 600 bucks for it but figured i would hold onto it if its worth that to the right guy

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

well of coarse there is oil in the gas.....if original post was read through you will know that....i tried putting a small washer in the middle if the dial and then the screw,but that didnt help i was gonna try changing the needle back to the 54 as i never did actually see for myself that it was too short....the tips of both needles are different.....i also have the other 15 horse just needs coils, wires and a carb.....its in great shape...i was offered 600 bucks for it but figured i would hold onto it if its worth that to the right guy
Yes you say your running 50:1 then you say 50:1 is 4.5 on the dial like your dialing up 50:1 with the knob. You say your running 50:1 like it doesn't matter. You need to run 24:1 .
Your motor will fail if you run 50:1.Thats what I was worked up about.
As far as the needlevalve There should be a nut the needle passes through there is a packing under the nut.Itr keeps air from leaking in and gas from leaking out the packing applies resistence to the shaft as you tighten the nut.

fastwin53

Cadet

oh ok well i wasnt trying to be ignorant.....thanks for the heads up....i will run the 24:1 from now on....50:1 was just what the guy had that was available and i didnt think it would hurt...ran it for 30 miles at least three weeks ago.....anyways ya today i was looking at it and there is a nut that the needle goes through but i didnt mess with it......should i try and put the 53 needle in? or just check the packing as i noticed that the needle has some play in it and also pretty easy to turn. but like i said earlier it ran awesome three weeks ago....just need some help going through some steps...like can i just open the cowl and take out the nut and remove the needle or how do i go about checkin it.....thanks so much for the heads up again

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

24:1 is one quart of tcw3 to 6 gallons of fuel This is really not a prop forum discussion moving to outboards

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Unhook the tank hose and run it dry if possible.
Some gas may still run out when you remove the needle.
Remove the nut and then the needle take them to your Evinrude dealer.
There is a packing kit Sierra number 18-7106 replaces OMC number 307583.
If the dealer is well established they may be able to tell if the packings will work.
Don't know if it will fit your carb. Hopefully someone better acquainted with the motor will chime in.

fastwin53

Cadet

you know what...i fell kinda dumb...the nut that the needle goes through was not quite tight .....tight to the fingers but put a wrench on it and at least another quarter turn....no more loose needle wanting to move by itself....now just to mix the 24:1 and fine tune it....hopefully this weekend....i can get er out for a run...thanks big time....be in touch....fw53

lindy46

Captain

Yup - that's what the packing nut does - snugs the needle and keeps it from turning. By the way, '53 and 54' fastwins were the same motor - no difference in the needles.

fastwin53

Cadet

well the tips are different and one is more of a blunt fat point and the 54 is more pencil shaped .....i dont know if that matters or not but all i care about is the needle shouldnt back off now....fw53

lindy46

Captain

Ahh - someone stuck a high speed needle in the low speed circuit. The high speed needle is the blunt fat one. No wonder it was shorter.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The 53 - 54 Fastwin 15 was an awesome motor. I like them as much as the later 18's. Getting a carb kit should be easy enough for those. If the local dealer can't help, then try vintageoutboard.com. They have excellent kits for the carbs, tanks and lower units. Plus they have ignition parts too. I rebuilt a couple lower units with their kits and the seals and stuff are the same quality as the original factory parts.

Yea, the sharp needle goes in the low speed and the blunt goes in the high speed. I seen this happen quite often and it drives people nuts. :D:D

fastwin53

Cadet

guys I had it out this past weekend with the 24:1 but it seems to have less power than it did with the 50:1....is there a happy medium like 32:1....would that still be ok to run in it?....was nice and smooth and responcive just had a bit more kick with 50:1....love it other than the less kick with 24:1.....thanks in advance.......... FW53

kfa4303

Banned

Hi fastwin. No. You must run 24:1. The proper amount of oil is vital to keeping the motor lubricated and running properly. With the 50:1 mix you will run too hot and your motor will eventually seize up on you. If you feel like it's not quite as powerful as it was try readjusting your carb using the new, correct 24:1 mix. Leaning it out a bit should help. Here's a great link on how to dial in your carb. Again, you MUST run 24:1, or you will damage the motor. Give these carb adjustments and let us know what happens.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

aelmo

Recruit

Hello,

I have a 1954 Evinrude Super Fastwin 15hp. Model 15012-05499.
I had it running good several years ago.
It was still in good running condition when it got setup for several years.
I just started working on it a couple weeks ago.
So far had to replace Starter recoil spring Sierra P/N - 18-6501, Spark plugs,
Cleaned Carb & installed kit P/N - BRP 439071,
Filed & cleaned points.
Mixed oil ratio 16:1 as instructed inside housing label. Which I think is too rich with oil.
Pressure tank is still good and pumps up. Connected hoses.
Used a little starting fluid & Just got it cranked today in a barrel of water & ran it about 3 minutes.
I possibly may not have had the water level high enough because it got really hot.
It was also blowing a lot of smoke out the water. I shut it off, took the lower foot off to check
the water impeller as I never saw water pumping out. Impeller looks fine, key pin good, turns freely.
Not sure if you can tell by looks alone. I noticed it is made of rubber and the flaps are curved instead
of straight like the replacement part pictures.
The other thing I noticed is looking up into the housing with a flashlight at the engine with the lower foot removed I can see a finger size hole and the side of the lower piston and rings.
I do not completly understand how the outboard motor exhaust system is setup & works.
It appears to me it would be blowing exhaust down into the chamber
next to the water pump impeller housing and out the lower water intake port instead of the upper
exhaust port above.
I fear that the hole I see could be a hole in the cylinder wall possibly a result of using starting fluid.:facepalm:
Is the hole just a exhaust port that's suppose to be there or do I have a blowed out hole in my cylinder wall?
:confused:
Thanks,

aelmo

fastwin53

Cadet

Hi fastwin. No. You must run 24:1. The proper amount of oil is vital to keeping the motor lubricated and running properly. With the 50:1 mix you will run too hot and your motor will eventually seize up on you. If you feel like it's not quite as powerful as it was try readjusting your carb using the new, correct 24:1 mix. Leaning it out a bit should help. Here's a great link on how to dial in your carb. Again, you MUST run 24:1, or you will damage the motor. Give these carb adjustments and let us know what happens.

alright i will give this link a try and see what happens.....it was awesome on the weekend in rondeau bay ontario...just needs some fine tweeking i think

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352
alright i will give this link a try and see what happens.....it was awesome on the weekend in rondeau bay ontario...just needs some fine tweeking i think