2010 Mercury 90HP 4 Stroke - ENGINE ISSUES!!!!

tomkwsnc

Recruit
Last year I repowered a Boston Whaler with a 90HP Mercury 4 Stroke 2010 engine. It worked perfectly last summer (was serviced at 40 hours and the break-in period was followed to the letter). The engine worked flawlessly last summer.

After about 15 hours of use this summer, the engine began making a metallic oscillating whirring noise at slow speeds (900-2500 rpm) after driving the boat at 75% throttle. This noise would begin as soon as we slowed down to a 6MPH zone. I have had this to the dealer 4 times in 1 month and have been told several different "potential" things - as well as "the engine runs fine". ?the noise is not there?

This week i was told it was the lower unit bearing / or driveshaft bearing and that Mercury needed to look at the engine before they could begin work. When Mercury looked at the engine and water tested it, the "engine ran fine" and there are no issues. Now I am back to square one.

this engine is less than 2 years old and has been in the shop 4 times in the past month - (fuel pump, wiring issues, whirring, stalling) each time I was told the engine noise was non-existent or normal.

I need some help - i know the engine is not working properly. I have owned boats all my life and i have never had this type of a problem ? you know when your engine is not running properly.

I have lost confidence in the engine and think i made a bad decision to repower with Mercury.

Does anyone know of any issues with the Mercury 4 stroke engines?

Also ? What it the best way to approach Mercury on this?

Any assistance would be great!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 2010 Mercury 90HP 4 Stroke - ENGINE ISSUES!!!!

Document, Document, Document.

Keep a record of everything, service orders, take notes of phone calls.

Eventually they are going to hear the noise, with documentation that the condition appeared during the warranty period Mercury will cover repairs.

You may ask your dealer for the # of the area rep and present your complaint, most are willing to listen and try to resolve any customer issue.

tomkwsnc

Recruit

CharlieB - thanks for your advice! I did have the sea trial and replicated the issue. At this point, Mercury does not know what is making the noise. He suggested we change the engine oil, (compled by the dealer). this had absolutely no impact to the noise. I belive it is actually getting worse.

Has anyone had this problem before?

cubieknot

Recruit

I just powered my 25ft Macgregor sailboat with a new 40hp fourstroke big foot and during the break in it began a very slight squealing noise. Sounds metallic and not directly affected by engine rpm. Now have 44 hours on engine and the noise is getting louder. Usually run around 2-3K rpm and this is where the noise is worst. Seems to be coming from under the powerhead. Going to call my dealer next week to see if they know what it might be.

janesy

Cadet

Last year I repowered a Boston Whaler with a 90HP Mercury 4 Stroke 2010 engine. It worked perfectly last summer (was serviced at 40 hours and the break-in period was followed to the letter). The engine worked flawlessly last summer.

After about 15 hours of use this summer, the engine began making a metallic oscillating whirring noise at slow speeds (900-2500 rpm) after driving the boat at 75% throttle. This noise would begin as soon as we slowed down to a 6MPH zone. I have had this to the dealer 4 times in 1 month and have been told several different "potential" things - as well as "the engine runs fine". ?the noise is not there?

This week i was told it was the lower unit bearing / or driveshaft bearing and that Mercury needed to look at the engine before they could begin work. When Mercury looked at the engine and water tested it, the "engine ran fine" and there are no issues. Now I am back to square one.

this engine is less than 2 years old and has been in the shop 4 times in the past month - (fuel pump, wiring issues, whirring, stalling) each time I was told the engine noise was non-existent or normal.

I need some help - i know the engine is not working properly. I have owned boats all my life and i have never had this type of a problem ? you know when your engine is not running properly.

I have lost confidence in the engine and think i made a bad decision to repower with Mercury.

Does anyone know of any issues with the Mercury 4 stroke engines?

Also ? What it the best way to approach Mercury on this?

Any assistance would be great!

Any luck with this? I've just bought a boat with the same motor, year 2009. It runs great except it makes the same noise. Seems to do it all the time except at idle.

cubieknot

Recruit

I have a 40hp big foot also with the same noise. I called the dealer and the svc man there actually took the time to look it up in the field svc book and told me it was a plastic bushing just below a seal on the driveshaft.(not part of the powerhead). He said it will not cause any other problems but the fix is just to take it out which requires removal of the powerhead. We are on a trip now with this motor (26ft MaCgregor) and just past 90 hours on the engine. The noise has changed a bit as you would expect as the plastic bushing wears but otherwise the motor has not missed a lick.
I purchased the factory svc manual and it is just as my dealer described it so I am not worried about the noise.
Good luck with your motor.......CubieKnot

M

Maxz695

I noticed on my smaller 40 HP that after a long run the lower main ball bearing would act up when coming down off wot and going through the no wake zone. The ball bearing I had put in did not have the plastic ball speaders that quiet the bearing. They are full metal bearings. The 70 I have now runs much quieter than the 40 did and has the plastic in the bearings. This may and or may not be the problem but if it is other than being irritating it shouldn,t hurt anything

M

Maxz695

My driveshaft has the plastic sleeve on the drive shaft and I can remove it by droping the LU