Hydra-Sport Z255 Stringer Repair Question

ttavenner

Recruit
Hey all. This is my first boat rebuild and I'm starting to question my plan of attack with repairing the stringers. The hydrasport has a raised rear and front deck. I was able to cut the stringersout from the lower deck and found solid wood under both raised decks.

I am second guessing myself about the size of wood I am using to replace the stringers. I am using 1x4. Seemed to match up upon measuring the wood I cut out, but upon dry fitting the stringers I see a gap in the middle of the lower deck between stringers and hull. This is totally throwing me off. Should there be a gap and/or is this a concern?

I cannot imagine I need to use 1x5. That seems like it would be too much height where the new wood meets the raised decks. Its just in the middle that I see a gap. I was knocking project out like a champ, but this gap has brought me to a hault. Need some advice from someone who has been there and done that.

Info: 50hp outboard. Planning to figerglass stringers with heavy weight cloth. I'm considering glueing/screwing a 1x2 where the new and old stringers meet. I only have 5-6" access under the raised decks, but I thought this added support and fiberglass over it would help assure a tight fit. This would also help me align the height for the new and old stringers so the marine grade plywood I install is evening supported.

I've attached some pics. Would appreciate any comments/advise. boat restore 3.JPGboat restore 2.JPGboat restore 1.JPG

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Hydra-Sport Z255 Stringer Repair Question

Hello TT and welcome to Iboats :) ..

The thing is you didnt post Pre-tear out ..

1x4 dimensional lumber is not good for stringers in most cases .. only PLY ( I only use Marine grade but there are debates about this in many threads ).

You have to use a Compass to make the shape of the Hull for the stringers .. then cut off the top when your "hull fit" is correct.

You might be fine just Glassing your current wood in if they are going to match up with the deck.

It all depends on the structure of the boat m8 .. ..

IF you plan on using this then glass the heck out of it with proper prep/sanding/grinding for Tabbing and glassing and I think you will be ok for this little boat :) .

YD.

PS. Bump

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

YD, is correct, We're gunna need some "Before PICS" if you have any, in order to help diagnose your dilema.

ttavenner

Recruit

Thanks YD and Woodonglass. I don't have any helpful photos from pre-tear out. The ones I do have include the foam between stringers, so I doubt that would help you advise me on my restore.

YD - I've grinde/ground the old fiberglass until scuffed and slightly rough, plan to join the old and new stringers with added wood/screws/glue, and will use a hardening epoxy compound between old and new stringers. I'm not sure of the weight of cloth I have, but its the heavier cloth and I purchased 30 pounds of it. Would two layers of cloth/glass give me the support I need, or would you lay a third layer with my setup?

This is the first time I've glassed. I'm told the result is supper strong, and of course I cut into it with the tear out so I have an idea of strength as well. Maybe I should make the call after I lay 2 layers, let it harden, and walk around the hull. If hull does not bow out much under my weight around stringers, then I'm guessing I have a pretty solid setup.

Thanks for your reply. I've pretty much made up my mind to use the 1x4 given 50hp and smaller boat. I will glass the heck out of it and just looking for confirmation weight test on hull is good indication I have strength needed. I'm using this boat in a 600 acre inland lake. May take it on the ohio river a few times as well. Will not be on water with high wind/waves, but will have to deal with water skiers wake from time to time.

Thanks