1973 johnson 50hp wiring botch job

kit352

Cadet
I picked up my first boat the other day and have been relatively happy with it so im now onto fixing its issues which is mainly the electrical. My first order of businees is to get the key to actually start the motor. The po used a length of wire going from the started terminal and touched it against the battery to start the motor. Its now my job to fix it but the motor has been touched by a hacker. Im getting 12.6v at on of the smaller terminals when the key is turned but not anywere else. Im thinking its either the soleniod, the safety switch of possible the fuse. My problem is figuring out which it is. Currently the engine only has one fusable link in the red harness with the oem twist connector but i did find another partially hooked up on the wire block that had been just floating around for god knows how long. It too is a red wire but maybe looks like a add-on but it has the same oem style twist fuse connector. Is this engine only supposed to have 1 link or am i missing one and that could be my problem? Im hoping its the soleniod since its cheap but i wanna rule everything else out first.

kit352

Cadet
Re: 1973 johnson 50hp wiring botch job

helped a bunch thanks. weird thing is my motor cover says 50 hp loop charged but its a 3 cylinder not 2 as in the diagrams.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Someting is out of wack, what is your model number?

kit352

Cadet

i talked to the old owner and its actually a 65hp. his lake had hp limits so he put the 50hp emblems on it to keep out of trouble.

kit352

Cadet

i think it maybe that safety switch. im going to test it now. the wiring shows one lead going to ground but i think that maybe the switch mech itself grounding out. mine only has the one wire from the soleniod going to it and a spot for another wire but nothing there. all the pics online show only 1 wire as well.
the switch has a sticking problem from just messing with the controls so it maybe a simple fix. im not sure 100% how it works because there are a few different parts moving back there at once. I know its to prevent full throttle starts. looks like it could be activated a few ways though.

kit352

Cadet

so it wasnt the safety switch. I was positiv eit was the solenoid at that point but the new one still doesnt work. I do how ever get a faint tick from it so it kind of works. Im thinking i have a bad ground or a short someplace.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Start with the battery, make sure the battery cables are really really clean and tight. If you still get just a click use a volt meter or test light and check for voltage at the battery side of the solenoid and then on the output side of the solenoid. Sounds like you are not getting proper voltage to you starting circuit.

kit352

Cadet

its something in the control box harness. if i move it around various things start wprking or not working. Im going to rip it apart and see whats going on.