Tulip Valve

Biergarden

Seaman Apprentice
-- This equation: boating(time + experience)/new problems=a trip to iboats.com :D

Anyway to share an experience... Last year I had an over heating problem in direct relation to my exhaust manifolds being totally occluded with rust, as is the result of salt water on cast iron. Fixed that only after the over heating melted my tilt/trim lines.

Looks like the over heating may also resulted in a tuliped valve causing my motor to miss; diagnosed by a compression check. I can beat myself up over this or learn from experience.

Since the motor is a 4.3GS PBYC built in 1998 I think it's time to repower with a 4.3 GXI.

DrNo08

Cadet
Re: Tulip Valve

I have the EXACT same engine and yesterday I discovered #3 valve has tuliped. I just acquired the boat 2 weeks ago. Head is currently at a engine shop. Thoughts on what the cause is for this specific engine? Thanks photo(13).JPG

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From the announcement at the top of the forum.

Please DO NOT reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Do Not write in them.

1. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Do not reply to them.

2. Do not take over someone else?s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

3. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

4. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it?s posted at the end of someone else?s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

Thank You for your cooperation

Biergarden

Seaman Apprentice

I have the EXACT same engine and yesterday I discovered #3 valve has tuliped. I just acquired the boat 2 weeks ago. Head is currently at a engine shop. Thoughts on what the cause is for this specific engine? Thanks View attachment 106122

Which one is valve number 3? Is it the one on the far right?
From what I was told the tulip problem is caused by the heads over heating in relation to the exhaust manifolds over heating. Because of the rust building up the sea water isn't able to flow as it's supposed to to keep things running cool. I'm sure your mechanic will look for the cause also by checking your manifolds and risers. There's an alternative to replacing them with OEM cast iron parts however. There is a company that makes stainless steel manifolds and risers for our motor and lots of other. You'll be pleasurably surprised to learn the over all cost is cheaper than the cast iron replacements too. You may PM me and I'll share that link.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Typically, overheats do not tulip valves.
Lugging the engine (over propped), improper timing, improper fuel mixture, etc leads to tuliped valves.

Bondo

Staff member

Typically, overheats do not tulip valves.
Lugging the engine (over propped), improper timing, improper fuel mixture, etc leads to tuliped valves.

Ayuh,... Or a Lean condition caused by what's sold as gasoline nowadays....

Water in the fuel is becomin' My worst headache...

Detonation, from Whichever cause will smoke a motor into an Anchor in No time Flat.....

DrNo08

Cadet

Which one is valve number 3? Is it the one on the far right?

Thanks for replying. The middle one is tuliped valve #3. kinda tough to see from the angle the picture was taken but its the one. Compression on all other cylinders was in the 149 - 153 range. FWIW, my boat, a 1999 Larson 186 LXI, was always a freshwater boat and not put in saltwater. At least thats what I was told. Was purchased in TN and stayed there.