Depth gauge, connect new gauge to existing thru-hull transducer?

birdpiper

Seaman Apprentice
1999 Four Winns
190 Horizon

My factory installed dashboard depth gauge stopped working about 5 seasons ago. I took it to the local FW dealer last season for repair and they said that it is an issue with the dashboard depth gauge. Sounds like it is related to all the other issues with the VDO gauges. They said that they could repair, but it would be costly. They suggested installing a new separate depth gauge. I keep the boat in brackish water for the season and would prefer not to have a transom mounted transducer.

I am fairly certain that the existing thru-hull transducer is ok. The connection from the dashboard gauge to the transducer is a ?three-prong? plug located in the engine compartment (see link to photo below). Can I hook up a new gauge to the existing thru-hull transducer? Would an adapter be needed?

https://picasaweb.google.com/xxwind...key=Gv1sRgCNXZ2_H5-MfOuAE#5634827933219972386

sdowney717

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Depth gauge, connect new gauge to existing thru-hull transducer?

honestly, it ought to work, but you need to know what wire does what.

with just 3 wires, one is depth+, one is depth-, one is a ground metal internal shell which likely helps with suppressing electrical noise.

NYBo

Admiral

It depends on the frequency at which the transducer operates. What brand is the old depth gauge?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The P19 is a base model. It can come with any number of connector options. You will need a specific part number to be able to match the existing connector with a new head unit. If worst come to worst, you can always splice the tranducer on the pigtail of the new head unit.