epoxy or resin for aluminum boat deck

marvxyz1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have a question regarding installing plywood on my aluminum runabout . I've got exterior plywood to install on my boat and Iwould like to know what type epoxy or resin I should use and where is the best place to get it. I understand that these products help resist moisture and I wouild like to preserve this wood for a while.
Thanks marvxyz

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: epoxy or eresin

You are building a floor? Seats? I would recommend the cheapest Polyester resin you can find. Make sure the plywood is very dry and then coat all sides. Any places that will see any kind of wear, use two coats. If you are building a deck to walk on, put a layer of med duty fiberglass cloth down on top of the first coat of resin. Make sure ht vloth is completely saturated with the resin. It will become very clear when it is saturated. After it cures, apply a second coat and perhaps a third coat, to fill in the mesh of the cloth.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Either polyester or epoxy resin will work. Epoxy resin you can use by itself like a varnish, however it is not UV tolerant so you will have to paint it if you aren't planning on adding some other type of floor covering on top of it. Polyester resin is cheaper but is worthless without some fiberglass mat. If you try to just use it like a varnish it will not hold up well at all.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What is the approx. Sq. Footage of the wood deck?