Johnson '79 115 Hp V4 carb rebuild question

Kaskaskia

Cadet
Hi all. Bottom carb problem , low speed good, high speed no power. Disassembled carb, it was dirty. The stuff looked amber colored and was crunchy. The hose from the fuel pump was full of the stuff, from the tee to the carb inlet. The hose was gray colored plastic and had the crimp style clamps, could have been original equipment, perhaps? It was the only piece like it in the fuel system, am replacing it with the black rubber fuel line.
The question is twofold ,I pulled the brass 90 degree fitting out at the inlet, thought it was threaded, no, its a press fit. Planning on putting a little non hardening gasket stuff on it and puting it back in. Feasable or no?

And... on the mounting plate, bewteen the venturis,there is a small hole, about 1/8 inch, approx. The gasket covers about half the hole. I have always had to spray gas into the carbs to get it started the first time of the day, it starts fine the rest of the time. Could this be why? The fuel pump was rebuilt this year and is pumping well.
Carb is soaking right now, I appreciate your help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson '79 115 Hp V4 carb rebuild question

I have in the past used JB weld to reinstall fuel fittings.
I can't visualize the hole you are talking about, anychance of posting a picture?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson '79 115 Hp V4 carb rebuild question

Agreed, a pict would help out.