Transom Bracket 1989 Force 125 Tilt n Trim

lazypengu1n

Cadet
Hello All,

I wanted to know if there was an alternate replacement part for the transom brackets for the 125HP Force motors?

I finally got the motor running after purchasing the boat, got her in the water and I found out the lower unit was bad the wrong way. I put it in forward and gave a little gas, nothing.. nothing... and then thump! The boat twisted to a side and the mounting bracket broke. I did notice a little corrosion there but I didn't think it would make a huge problem. Good thing, I tested this out in a cove before taking her out into open water. Anyways, now I have a broken left side bracket, if you are looking from the back of the boat towards the front. The right side bracket is still together, but is clearly bent from taking all the stress. I can see the same green cracks and ooze starting to form was on the left bracket before it broke.

I am so close to getting out on the water, but now I need to find replacement brackets. :(

I wanted to know where a good source to get a replacement brackets that will work with trim n tilt. Any information or direction would be appreciated. I also sourced a new lower unit as well, which seems to have been the cause of the issue, but looks like the bracket was going to break anyways.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Bracket 1989 Force 125 Tilt n Trim

ANY Chrysler or Force (at least up to 1990) transom clamp will work. I actually prefer the Chrysler transom clamps with the screw on feature. They will not corrode internally like the Force through bolt clamps and break on you.

I always thought that this was a stopgap and poor design: Three inches of stainless bolt passes through it and galvanic reaction between the stainless and aluminum will progress--often to the point of splitting the clamp at the bolt .

Tilt and trim mounting was not changed until Merc started making Force so yours will mount on any of these clamps. However: Don't be surprised if your tilt/trim unit is also corroded fast to the old clamps. You may also need to replace the cylinders.

lazypengu1n

Cadet

Thank you so MUCH! I was able to find the clamp version with the rams. Hopefully this will work for me.

Pic1-vi.jpg

Pic2-vi.jpg

Pic3-vi.jpg

Pic4-vi.jpg

Pic5-vi.jpg

Pic6-vi.jpg

Do you have any recommendations on how to fill in the top holes since I will be using this clamp version of the bracket?

-John

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

wow! That is a really old one and it does not have the mounting holes for the steering tube. it also does not have the extended bottom with two mounting holes each side. AND, later models replaced the hand levers with a 9/16 screw. BUT: ---It will work but you will need to get a transom steering mount or fabricate one to bolt to the transom clamps. Someone else did this a couple of months ago so search the forum to see what he did. The only problem that may appear is if your transom is thicker: These old model clamps had a smaller opening than the later ones. When I replied, I didn't anticipate clamps this old and yet in this good condition to appear on the market. Most are so badly corroded that they are not usable.

I'm curious--How much did you pay? If the tilt/trim is working, even without the motor and pump, it is worth a good bit. The cylinders appear to be in very good condition. However, I recommend that you use your existing lines because those look like they have been bent.

I like to fill existing holes in transoms with chopped fiberglass and resin. I actually wet out some home insulation--think pink-- and pack it into the holes. You can fill them with a wood plug and resid or 5200, or you can just fill them with silicone RTV.

lazypengu1n

Cadet

So I have finally mounted the new brackets on the engine. The issue I am having now is setting up the steering. Do you recall how these clamps were setup with steering? I don't know the age of these brackets so I have been unable to look anything up.

I do have a T&R Marine clamp kit, but its starting to look like this may not work. The clamp is designed to clamp onto the mounting brackets but they seem to be a little to far out that the steering cable is getting bent when I attempt to do the installation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Do not get discouraged. The original clamps you had were made with a hole on the front through which passed the steering tube. You have a number of options: Clamp the tube to the transom clamps. buy a transom mount for the tube, or fabricate your own. You may need to fiddle around a bit but eventually you should be able to get it to work.

d absher

Cadet

i have a 1973 85 hp chrysler with tilt trim off of 89 force 125 hp it works well