Installing an hour meter on 460 Ford King Cobra

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Being that i have a new long block, I bought an hour meter to track time. How do I wire this in so it only runs when motor runs? Seems an accessory connect would rack up time when the key was on and not just when the engine was on. <br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Pat

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Installing an hour meter on 460 Ford King Cobra

Positive terminal goes to the ignition terminal on the switch (usually purple) and the minus terminal goes to ground.<br />That purple ignition wire also puts power to all the insturments, so you could attach it to the purple wire terminal on any of your gauges

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hate to say it, but we do not live in a perfect world, the only way to install or connect an hour meter is to the ignition on terminal....it will click away the hours anytime the ignition is on, whether the engine is running or not. Follow Don's wiring suggestions....that is it.

I have looked at this meter. Looks interesting. Connects to spark plug, so it should only read "motor running" time.<br /><br />Have not bought one, so I can't say from any experience if it works well, or at all.<br /><br /> Hour Meter @ Hardline Products

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Pbburke, How did you wire your hour unit. Did you follow the instruction that Don S gave. I would like to install on my boat but need to log 'engine run time' only instead of ignition on time.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a boat with an electric fuel pump you can wire the ground to the same ground the fuel pump uses. The fuel pump is usually connected through a oil pressure switch that kills the pump if you lose oil pressure. Thats how I did my hour meter and it only runs when the motor runs.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Knowing the "Exact running" engine time isn't really a necessity. It's basically for service intervals anyway, but you can also figure out "Rough" gallons per hour with it. But since you don't always run the engine at exactly the same rpm that number is also a general number. Leaving the ignition in the on position is not a good idea either. So not sure what the point of knowing exact run time is.<br />The hour meters are't used like a clock either, and are not really accurate to 1 second a year.

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will follow Don's direction. But as yet the snow hasn't completely melted on the boat cover, next weekend perhaps.... I'll let you know how it goes.

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I followed recommendation and of course, its perfect...thanks