Manual bilge

Susanmen

Recruit
I'm a new boat owner! 1999 Reinell 203. My question is.. How often do you turn on the bilge when boating? We took her out for the first time, didn't think about it until we were on our way back to dock, then it seemed it pumped a heck of a lot of water out, so, should we run it every hour or so? We are using this boat for tubing, skiing, pleasure on a fresh water river. Thanks for any info!

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Manual bilge

Sounds like your boat is taking on water somewhere. If its an IO, it could be the bellows leaking. Check the bellows, if there cracked, they need to be replaced. The bellows are common place for water to get in, on IO's.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Technically you shouldn't have to turn the bilge on unless you do ALOT of swimming or it rains pretty hard so if you are getting alot of water I agree with etracer that there is a leak somewhere.

Get ti as dry as possible and take it out again and stick your head under the deack with a good flashlight and see if you can narrow down where it is coming from.

The bellows are that rubber boot around your out drive, they eventually get worn out and leak so a good inspection there would be a good idea.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I can't remember the last time I had to turn the bilge pump on in my boat, as already said... you shouldn't have to run the bilge pump.

While your boat is on the trailer at home, take a garden hose and run water in your bilge and look around the outside of the boat for leaks. Concentrate on the transom area mainly, but look over the whole boat bottom as well. You really need to find where your boat is taking on water.

Being new to boating, you may have come closer to sinking your new boat than you realize the last time you were out... and that's a really terrible way to end a day of fun on the water.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I'll be keeping track of this thread as well, as I'm looking for a leak as well. Post up when/if you find it, might help someone else as well. I ripped up the rear section of my new deck & heading for the lake to "find" the leak today if time permits.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'll be keeping track of this thread as well, as I'm looking for a leak as well. Post up when/if you find it, might help someone else as well. I ripped up the rear section of my new deck & heading for the lake to "find" the leak today if time permits.

Take a flash light with you Max, the light will reflect more off of the water even in daylight.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Assuming you have a float switch tied into your pump, either the amount of water getting into the bilge is not enough to raise the float (thus turning the pump on automatically), or it is not working...

Time to get down in the bilge and see what's going on, as well as to learn a little bit more about the equipment that's in there...

whitecrystal1

Seaman

My Regal was taking on water while I owned it. I found it would leak when at anchor so I set anchor and stuck my head in the engine compartment looking, found the swim ladder and the rub rail around the transom was the cause. Until I figured it out I would manually turn the bilge pump on anytime I sat at anchor for a while. Good Luck with your leak

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 93 Reinell. I have never had to turn on the bilge. When I put it on the trailer, I always pull the plug, but nothing comes out. I also think you are taking on water.

I guess I need to dump some water in my bilge to see if the pump even works. lol

Cap’n Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suggest you confirm the location of the leak if at all possible without putting the boat in the water, or atleast keep her on the trailer. If it's the bellows, raising and lowering the outdrive could be enough to finish a tear if that's the problem, and that bellows will leak WAY faster than your bilge pump can pump out. At a minimum look VERY closely at the bellows and be certain that that is NOT your leak source. Good luck with it, enjoy!!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

My boat came with a single manual bilge pump. Last winter I added a second, higher capacity, automatic bilge pump. So now I have greater ability to pump, duplication of function, and have added an automatic feature that hopefully will save me if I'm being unaware. Certainly I'm better off than I was.

Bilge pumps aren't that expensive. Even if you find your leak you ought to consider upgrading your options. I would not replace the current one unless it's defective. Add to it.

Susanmen

Recruit

Ok, we made sure she was completely dry, filled the bilge to the top, let it sit for a while, not one drop of water. Any other suggestions? On Monday, we will put her in the water, (still on trailer) raise and lower the outdrive, and see what happens. Any recommendations on how to learn more about caring for my boat would be greatly appreciated. I can stick my head down in there, but I really don't know what I'

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If the plug was already in the boat when you launched the other day what you pumped out may have been rain water and your boat doesn't really leak.

But now you suspect that there might be a possible leak and will watch it closely which is a good thing, let us know how it goes the next time you're out.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ok, we made sure she was completely dry, filled the bilge to the top, let it sit for a while, not one drop of water. Any other suggestions? On Monday, we will put her in the water, (still on trailer) raise and lower the outdrive, and see what happens. Any recommendations on how to learn more about caring for my boat would be greatly appreciated. I can stick my head down in there, but I really don't know what I'

You have an opportunity to check out the function of your bilge pump if you don't just pull the plug. With water in the bilge, turn on the pump. Either it works or it doesn't. It should squirt out a strong stream out the side of your boat wherever the outlet happens to be. Position one of your children there just before you cycle the pump, strictly for the entertainment value. You could put your wife there but I suspect the consequences may be a little severe. Don't ask me how I know. :D

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I'll be heading to Gander Mt. or Wal Mart to pick up a new automatic bilge pump today. The one that I have I had to re-wire & use it on a switch manually because the float switch was rusty & didn't always work when it should. I need to keep a close eye on it & getting tired of worrying about it the whole time I'm on the water, it's all I think about when I'm out. Gotta cut the rear section of the deck out today as well to be able to look for my leak, just hope I find it so I can relax & just have fun. A new automatic bilge won't hurt anyway.