1990 70 HP evinrude with no spark Need HELP

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I just picked up a 1990 Evinrude E70TLESB motor. The compression is 110 in all 3 cylinders. Carbs look good.It run great when the guy took it off his boat do to rotten transom.When he went to start it on a stand it wouldn't start.No spark to all the plugs.Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it.I'm haven't really had the time to check it out,but I'm hoping it's maybe a fuse or something simple.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 70 HP evinrude with no spark Need HELP

Is the main large plug from the controls plugged in or are you jumping the starter?

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The main plug is pluged in and going through the controls to start it.I have to check to make sure the guy didn't pull the ignition wire off in the controls.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK,So I pull the main red plug from the control box in the motor and tried to start it from jumping the starter.The motor turned over and still no spark. So what do you think I should try now. It has no spark,the motor turns over good,the trim works fine,just no spark.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It might be a good idea to get the factory manual and use the troubleshooting section to find your problem, there are several components to your ignition system, might save you some money in the long run.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check ALL power pack wires behind pack and bracket. bracket tight?