New to Volvo, question regarding exhaust.

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,

I purchased a nice Four Winns 205 powerboat and she has a 5.0 Volvo V8 which runs terrific, not had on the water yet but on the muffs it starts 1st turn of the key.

My question is when running on the muffs the water/exhaust coming out of the engine seems to be falling from a port in front of the outdrive and not through the prop.

My last boat had a 1972 Merc TOP so my knowledge on these is limited.

Is there an online manual for this engine or could anyone recommend one that I can buy online, I like to know as much as possible... None of the gauges are working so I will need to find out where everything connects.

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Best wishes,

Stan

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New to Volvo, question regarding exhaust.

Thank you kindly Don, really terrific! Do you happen to know if the exhaust/water as i described above is normal?

Maclin

Admiral

It is normal. I have another post to follow with a pic. My connection keeps dropping and I lose it, it will be there is a few minutes.

Maclin

Admiral

The raw water used for cooling exits thru the exhaust. The exhaust has two exits, one at the end of the cavitation plate (not thru the prop on a Volvo), and the other is thru what are called idle relief ports located at the bottom of the transom plate on the stern.

When in the water the cav plate exit is a ways underwater causing backpressure during cranking. The idle relief ports are not as much under water and are there to relieve that pressure during cranking. They have flappers over them that can be moved easily by the cranking exhaust. A lot of water can come out there when on the muffs, very normal operation.

The attached pic looks up at the bottom of the transom and the under part of the drive, this will be typical of your boat's drive in arrangement. Beginning at the bottom right you see the boats drain plug hole, then following up and towards the left you see the anode (white) at the bottom of the transom plate, then the black flapper over the idle relief ports, then the black exhaust bellows.

Attachments

• VP Exhaust check valve.JPG
    VP Exhaust check valve.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your replies... I have started a new thread with new discovered issues :-S