First time Boat Owner... Best Cleaning soap and dirt remover? To make it look new?

Gennadiy05

Recruit
Hello, I have purchased my first boat this weekend. it was a 1993 Sunbird Crosair 198. From what i was told it was sitting outside for around 5 years and therefore it is really dirty. I wanted to clean the boat first and then start on the cracks and dings so they become more visible once the dirt is gone.

What is the best cleaners out there to make it look like new again. It is white color and fiberglass and i need help please...

Thanks for the advice.

I will also have to redo the interior completly like new flooring and new upholostery but i am handy and those r not a big deal for me. I was told the engine was turned on a month ago and will check it out this weekend. wish me luck.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: First time Boat Owner... Best Cleaning soap and dirt remover? To make it look new

What is the best cleaners out there to make it look like new again. It is white color and fiberglass and i need help please...

wish me luck.

Welcome to Iboats Gen ..

Answer is NO cleaner will make it look new again.

Try to post up some pics for us to further help you on your project :)

Good luck.

YD.

Gennadiy05

Recruit
Re: First time Boat Owner... Best Cleaning soap and dirt remover? To make it look new

well i know nothing will make it look like new again but what will remove the yellow staining and best cleaning product to revive the color of the boat?

buffbenj

Seaman Apprentice

Best advice is to hang out at a marina and find out how professionals do it. That said, I would wash all the surface dirt off with a stiff bristle scrubbing brush and a carwash detergent solution. Then apply a rubbing compound, like Meguires, and most importantly remove with a high speed buffer with a compound pad. Walmart and even Autozone dont have good enough buffers for this. I have a Milwaukee 5540 variable speed polisher, costs about $275-300. Then apply a wax coat by hand, and remove with the buffer, but you need to change pad to a wool polishing pad. There are a bunch of threads about these issues... Without an expensive buffer, you wont cut the mustard!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Go to Walmart, buy some rubber gloves and a respirator mask, a Good Scrub brush and some Toilet Bowl Cleaner Called "The Works". It that doesn't work then the Compound and buffer will have to be your next recourse.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

This is kinda an old thread .. without a reply from the OP ..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

DUH!!!! Thanks Doc, I missed the date.