2 - 125hp Forces, what parts are interchangeable?

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have two 125 hp Force engines. One is fully operational 1985 (1258x5a) and the other is a 1989 (1251a9c), this hasn't been started by me so I don't know the condition. The 1989 I was able to pick up for 100 bucks from a guy who didn't want the hassle. He told me he got it hot running on a hose in the driveway, compression has 3 cyls at or near 140 and the last one was 39 or so. I bought the thing solely for parts and I was wondering what parts can be swapped over in case I needed them. The choke solenoid was the first casualty and that was the same. I have the trim and tilt also for the 1989 also. The CDI's are blue on the 1989 and black on the 1985 which I have running, are they compatible? Do I need to switch them all if I need one or can I simply swap one of them? The carbs "look" the same. What about the lower unit? Apart from being black as opposed to white, a lot of it looks the same or did I waste 100 bucks?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 - 125hp Forces, what parts are interchangeable?

EVERYTHING will swap. While the cover and lower cowl look different on the 89, they too will bolt up to your leg if you don't like the 85 shape.

You can run blue components with black and they will work but there are some on the forum who state that the will prematurely fail--I don't know, I have not tried it. The only real question is : Does your 85 have quick-connect fittings on the electronics? If so, while they are still swappable, you may need to do some wiring modifications.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please explain what you mean by quick connect fittings on the electronics. The lower unit is the same? This is really what I bought the 89 for. What about the ignition stuff, stator, flywheel etc? Are you telling me that I actually made a good deal. The motor looks very clean and nice. He took it to a shop and they told him the compression was low in one of the cyls. Awesome. Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Some early Prestolite ignitions had the wiring connected with Quick-connect fittings--Male and female matching ends so you could not connect the incorrectly--like computer cables or TV cables. Just plug them together. Later ignitions had all the wiring connected to a terminal board on the coil and CD box mounting plate.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I now understand the Quick-connect fittings. Thanks. However, you said "EVERYTHING" will swap. Is the motor and its main parts identical . . . just black? Is the lower unit, the tilt/trim, starter, starter solenoid, carbs, all, for lack of a better word "swap-able"? Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I said everything and meant it! All major parts are the same. Only a couple of parts like fuel pump and water pump may be slightly different but should swap. If the 89 has a Merc water pump, then it is the only part not swappable per-se, but the whole lower unit including the pump is. See that Chrysler 105 in the avatar? It has a 1990 dual exhaust lower unit on it with no modifications and carbs off a late model Force too.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome! Two motors for the price of basically free! Doesn't get much better than that. Thanks a bunch, Eric