1993 Yamaha L4 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle 33

Recruit
Has anyone ever had this motor stalls when shifting in to gear.

It starts up ok.

It runs in idle fine.

But when you put it in gear it stalls

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Yamaha L4 3.0

yup. I had that problem. It ended up being the shifter fork in the drive. It gets dry and then it becomes stiff, which in turn triggers the shift interupt switch, thus stalling your motor. Capt ken wrote a big post long ago. I'll google it for ya, then i'll copy paste it.

Keep in mind, it could be a few different things, like lower shift cable,seized drive, just to name a couple.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove drive, split drive, remove bronze shift fork, drill out bushing one size larger, reassemble. One problem will be getting a drill bit long enough to reach down in there to the bushing. I welded a ten inch stud on the end of the proper sized drill bit and hung it on the wall

Chevelle 33

Recruit

yup. I had that problem. It ended up being the shifter fork in the drive. It gets dry and then it becomes stiff, which in turn triggers the shift interupt switch, thus stalling your motor. Capt ken wrote a big post long ago. I'll google it for ya, then i'll copy paste it.

Keep in mind, it could be a few different things, like lower shift cable,seized drive, just to name a couple.

Thanks alot Ricovw that great information will look into that If you fine that post from Capt Ken that would be good too.

Thanks again!

uncle

Recruit

had same problem unit works ok no..............anyone have a drawing,picture or anyother info on how the throttle linkage is supposed to hook up on the L4 3.0L Yamaha. mine binds and when u drop back from appling throttle to neutral rpm remains high.......thanks

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uncle, You gotta start your own thread. But i do suggest buying the clymer manual off of ebay for the yamaha drive. Go to ebay and search yamaha stern drive. There are lots for sale on there, and you will be able to service and repair your drive and motor with that manual. It covers the 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines.

beachman51

Recruit

Where is the shifter fork? Is it in the stern drives or in the shifter cables. Can someone take a very detailed picture so I know what i am looking for? Someone posted a pic but you can't tell where the shifter forks.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The shifter fork is in the drive. It's fairly involved to get to. I wouldn't try it if you don't have a manual, or if you are not too mechanically inclined. You will need to torque bearing retainers and set backlash on gears.

beachman51

Recruit

The shifter fork is in the drive. It's fairly involved to get to. I wouldn't try it if you don't have a manual, or if you are not too mechanically inclined. You will need to torque bearing retainers and set backlash on gears.

I have gone to boats.net and can't find a part called fork drive. Do you know the part number or some other place to get the part? Thanks for all your help.

beachman51

Recruit

I have gone to boats.net and can't find a part called shifter fork. Do you know the part number or some other place to get the part?
Thanks for all your help.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll look in the manual for the proper name when i get home. I doubt that you need a new one. It gets stiff and then it does not rotate smoothly. This makes shifting difficult, which will set your shift interrupt switch off. You need to pull your drive apart. The 'shifter fork' is in the intermediate housing.
The exhaust flows through the shifter fork area, which bakes the grease on the shaft of the fork. To fix it, you need to drill out the shift fork bushing, so it doesn't get stiff again. Then re grease with hi temp (that's what I did), and re-assemble FOLLOWING the manual procedure.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have a look at this drawing
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Drive/0/V8_DR_1990/UPPER DRIVE 2/parts.html
Part number 23, the shaft coupling, can become tight and make shifting difficult. As noted in Ricovw"s post above, the bushing should be drilled out but only by a poofteenth, then use high temperature grease.
If this doesn't cure the problem, then maybe the cable is becoming tired and emotional.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bingo, that's the one. good job Triman,

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bingo, that's the one. good job Triman,

Been there, done that, thanks ricovw.

Incidentally, most Yammie sterndrive parts seem to be available down this end of the world or in Europe. Mainly the big ticket items seem to be scarce. A Mercruiser dealer down here even modified a pair of marc manifolds and risers for me. Confuses people when they see a few Yamaha stickers and a set of merc manifolds!!
Can I also say that I do all my own servicing on the leg. Twice now so-called Yamaha experts have put the thing in full forward gear then tried to remove the leg. It doesn't work that way with the Yammie.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yah, Triman, I've had to do that also.

I do all my leg servicing also. I havent had a problem getting any parts either. Most all consumables are available, but like you said, big ticket items are gone. But, its not a big deal when you can get merc stuff to fit. We should keep in touch, it might be a good thing to have a contact on the other side of the world!
There might be a part that I can get or find around here and you cant in Australia. I could get it for you and send it to

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yah, Triman, I've had to do that also.

I do all my leg servicing also. I havent had a problem getting any parts either. Most all consumables are available, but like you said, big ticket items are gone. But, its not a big deal when you can get merc stuff to fit. We should keep in touch, it might be a good thing to have a contact on the other side of the world!
There might be a part that I can get or find around here and you cant in Australia. I could get it for you and send it to

Not a problem ricovw. Quick question - I live in Melbourne, Victoria. Which Victoria are you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.