Official Starcraft Rubrail Thread

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
I've been meaning to do this for a while and with so many newbies this may help out. The search for this was very frustrating but ended well.

The original profile was produced by Barbour Plastics. It is no longer a current profile so to get the original you would have to order 1000 ft. minimum.

The following part number is a current Starcraft profile that any (helpful) dealer can order by the foot. It fits the original channel perfect.

Starcraft Part #STR35700046, as of 10-29-2011 the price is $3.00-ish a foot.

UPDATE 10-29-2011: In an effort to help a fellow Starcrafter get new a rubrail insert for his boat, I offered to buy it at my dealer and ship it to him because he (and everyone else for that matter) could not find a Starcraft dealer that was willing to help out. When I called my dealer to place an order I learned a little bit about Starcraft. He said he could get the insert again, but the real price is 3.00/ft, not the $1.20 I got it for. When he inquired with Starcraft originally, they quoted him $1.20, so that's what he charged me. (I picked it up right away), but when he got the actual invoice from Starcraft they charged him $3.00/ft. He called and said they told him $1.20/ft, but they said no they didn't, and he had to eat the rest. He told me not to worry about it, but he can't sell it for that again. Apparently Starcraft is horrible to deal with. They have no customer service, no contact phone numbers, and if you go to their site looking for a rep to talk to, you get directed to a local dealer. So they are stuck fielding all calls for everything. When they inquire about parts, a lot of the time they don't even get a response. He said when they can get parts there is an automatic $6.99 handling fee no matter what, even if its a $2 part plus shipping to the dealer. He said it sucks when people with Starcrafts come in for parts, because he almost always has to give them bad news (can't get it).

So, if a dealer gives you a hard time about looking for some part for your Starcraft, they probably want to help, but can't. Sad. I said, they prolly have no idea the following the older boats have.

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

Last edited:

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Official Starcraft Rubrail Thread

Its like you read my mind DJ... I was just thinking yesterday to clean/fix or get new. At least now I have this info when/if I decide to get new. I actually like the way it has a more full look then the original which shows the rail edges... Awesome.. thanks DJ. :D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Its like you read my mind DJ... I was just thinking yesterday to clean/fix or get new. At least now I have this info when/if I decide to get new. I actually like the way it has a more full look then the original which shows the rail edges... Awesome.. thanks DJ. :D

Your welcome. Yeah this style will cover up some rash if you have some on the edge of the aluminum channel.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

That right there looks so sharp and clean man, you are seriously going to sell me new rubrail for my Islander aren't you:facepalm:

I thought you already had new rubrail? Or you mean you want the new and improved version?:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I thought you already had new rubrail? Or you mean you want the new and improved version?:D

Oh no, I have rubrail from the 70's that is totally usable. That rubrail ^^^^^ looks awesome though. And, there are now chew marks from a dock.

Ugh.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks for posting that part #, it couldn't have come at a better time. Hit this thread on my first search! I had to cut my rub rails out for painting/cleanup and when I went to put them back yesterday...they had shrunk and were too short!

I think the black will look sharper than the white anyway on mine.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'm still pursuing a couple Starcraft dealers with the part number given above (#STR35700046). No luck with the first one, they don't seem to want to be bothered; still checking with the other one.

Has anyone determined whether the Taco V12-4144 will fit? It seems I read somewhere that someone did get a Taco profile that fit, but I can't find the reference.

Have to be real careful, I don't want to end up with 35' of this expensive stuff that I can't use!

Big Sky

Seaman Apprentice

DJ, did you get that at a local (West MI) Starcraft dealer? If so could you enlighten me as to which one?

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been pondering the idea of replacing the aluminum channel and the rub rail. I have no idea if the channel is available anywhere, though. Thanks for the thread and information.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I was considering replacing the channel as well, but decided to have the trim painted like the newer ones. I haven't checked into availability or cost of the channel, but the newer boats channels look to be the same. I bet the channel would be pricey though...

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was considering replacing the channel as well, but decided to have the trim painted like the newer ones. I haven't checked into availability or cost of the channel, but the newer boats channels look to be the same. I bet the channel would be pricey though...

My channel isn't that bad, just dented in a couple of places in the front from running into bridge pylons where I fish. I'm considering painting it as well. Matter of fact, i've been considering removing the side rub rail (in the middle of the hull) as well. I've been meaning to call or write Starcraft on the possibility of getting the large decal used on the side of the modern boats.