oil leak timing chain cover merc 3.0

mikeruta

Cadet
The gasket blew by the oil filter on the timing chain cover. Have to take off the front motor mount and harmonic balancer to get to it. The harmonic balancer pully is pressed on and the gasket is attached to the oil pan also. The pully is stuck how can I get it off? I'm using a puller tool for harmonic balancer, should I try a breaker bar? how do I get it back on? hammer and piece of wood? or is there a tool? Also what kind of gasket sealer to use permatex 2? has anyone done this without pulling the motor? :mad:

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: oil leak timing chain cover merc 3.0

my timing chain cover rusted thru and was replaced by a mech just before i got my boat.. i cant be of any more help than to say they did it without pulling the engine..<br /><br />trog100

Laddies

Banned

Mike basicly you have have all the right ideas some balancers are hard to get off

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

whale on it with the biggest hammer you can find. be aware that all the hammer thrust is absorbed by the flange on the crank thrust bearing. the tool to install it never fits. and its very difficult to PROPERLY install the pan seal on the cover unless the oil pan is off. I just pop the engine out and do it on the shop floor. gives a chance to catch upon other maint as well. someplace on this forum there is a long and heated thread on removal and installation of the balancer. search for it. it may be a year old by now.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..................... A Hammer has Absolutely No Use in the Removal, Or Installation of a Harmonic Balancer.................<br />It's 1 of those, Use the Right Tool, or Don't Do It........<br />As Easy as it is to pull that little motor, Your life will be Much Easier to do this on the Bench.............<br /><br />BTW, Welcome to the forums here at iboats........ ;)

trog100

mine was done with the boat still in the water at its mooring dock.. however the engine on my boat is extremely easy to get at.. just lift the big cover off and its sat there fully exposed.. accessible from all sides.. i cringe when i look at how some of these small boat engines are hidden right down in little boxes buried under sun laungers and stuff.. both from the fire hazard point of view and getting at the things..<br /><br />trog100

Northern Eclipse

Mike I did one years ago on a 3.0 ,mine was a 1984 merc 140hp, timing gears went south..anyway mine had bolt into the crank snout removed it and used a 3-way puller, popped off no problem, what I did to put it back on was used a longer bolt and stacked it with a bunch of Thick large diameter washers, I then pushed the balancer back on by turning the bolt in, until the threads are about bottem or balancer did not move anymore, back bolt out added a few more washers and repeat above process until balancer was driven home, took a bit of time but didn't have to beat on it.

mikeruta

Cadet

Thanks for the advise. I'm not a mechanic but my buddy is and I'm going to bring it in to his shop to use his engine hoist to support the front of the motor while I try to pull this off again. <br /><br />If it doesn't work, how hard is it to pull the motor? time? how hard to get it back in? fluids or seals and alignment tools needed?<br /> Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your going to have to do an engine alignment because you have the front mount off. you really should pull the outdrive before you lift the engine or you will be straining the engine coupler if you raise it too much.<br />Pulling the engine is easy if you have the front mount off, and the drive off, it just the 2 rear bolts, exhaust tube, shift and throttle cables, electrical plug, battery cables, and fuel line.<br />A 3.0L engine that is not down in a deep hole, is usually only about 45 minute job to pull the engine for me, because I do it for a living, but if your buddy has a hoist, you shouldn't have any problems.