Coil rubbing flywheel

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice
I’m working on a 1957 Sea King 25HP (same as ’55 'rude Big Twin)<br /><br />Model # GG9025A<br />S/N 75X68559<br /><br />I replaced the Coils, points, & condensers. My problem is that the new coils just barley rub the inside of the flywheel near the magnet. I pushed the coils as far back as the holes will allow and the flywheel still catches. <br /><br />What can I do to gain a little room? Can I ream the holes in the coils without ill effect? Any thing else an option?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />AJY

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Coil rubbing flywheel

If you have the right coils they should fit.<br /> My guess is the mounting plate is worn where it pivots causing it to wobble just enough to rub.<br /> Hope you have a manual....

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

Not to worry... I have a manual.<br /><br />The plate is in good shape. It just seems like the coils stick out about .010" too far. The coils are correct, they match what came off. (which didn't rub) <br /><br />Would it hurt the coils to open up the mounting holes a little?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I had a '57 Sea King, and it took the same coils as the '57 Evinrude Big Twin, but I'm not sure those are the same as for the '55 Big Twin. If you have the right coils, they should fit exactly when seated properly. It is possible that the condensor wire is catching on the flywheel, and needs to be seated down further.

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

Nope, it's the coil, I can see where it's rubbing.<br /><br />I'll look into the '55 vs. '57 issue. But in the mean time I can't take back the 2 new coils and I'm a cheapskate. When I turn the flywheel by hand I get good spark with the "too big" coils. I should be able to make this work if I can open the holes. Does anyone know if this will hurt them?<br /><br />BTW Thanks for the suggestions Steelspike and Oldboat1!!! Much appreciated!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Email this guy:<br />obman@texoma.net<br />He should have the correct coils, for cheap. You can bore out the holes to make those coils work, but it'll make a big mess if they loosen and impact the flywheel when its running!!!! Hence the name...fly-wheel. You may see it happen. If you want to keep it working, keep it stock with the right coils.<br />Then sell your too-big coils on ebay. Just my .02 cents.

petryshyn

Commander

ajy<br /><br />seems you're gonna use those coils anyway, so.....<br /><br />It won't hurt to elongate the slots by .010<br />Just line up the mounting edge of the breaker plate to the coil core and you're set...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

AJY..... Notice the top surface of the plate, just where the coil sits upon it. There is a slight bevel. The vertical portion of the metal yoke of the coil should be aligned perfectly with the top inside portion of that bevel. In that position, if the flywheel hits the coils, it would have to hit the plate first. If you cannot align those coils with that bevel, you have the wrong coils.<br /><br />You can use OMC part numbers: 580416, 580197, 582370, 582931, 582995, or 584477. (Original and superceeded numbers) Number 584477 being the latest number.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Rather than make the holes bigger carefully<br />file down the armature.<br />Years ago when I was young and poor I swapped<br /> coils from armature to armature even to different brands and it worked.Maybe I was lucky

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe is right. Once the coils are seated, you should be able to take the back of you finger nail and run it along the outside of the coil (where it meets the stator plate/breaker plate) and not be able to feel the transition. Then the coils are perfectly seated.<br /><br />I'd elongate the hole before filing down the outside, but that's just my opinion. It will have less effect on the function of the coils and less surface area to rust and corrode.

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the input. I won't be able to tear it down until tomorrow. I'll keep you posted as to the root cause so we can all ad to our memory banks! More to come...

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

I want to apologize to anyone who wasted their time trying to help me. I am a moron. I was in too much of a hurry the first time I put the coils on that I just simply didn't have them adjusted correctly.<br /><br />I took the flywheel off, loosened the coils and they slid right into place. Thanks all for the suggestions. I have learned a valuable lesson. From now on I will take my time and be much more careful.<br /><br />The novelty of my new (to me) boat got the better of me! :rolleyes: <br /><br />BTW It runs fine now!<br /><br />Thanks again.