Is this a sucker's deal?

corissamarie

Cadet
I know this boat is old, but I do seem to gravitate towards Glastron and a few others so I've been looking at any and all ads for the types I like visually.

What I don't understand is, if this boat is in good condition and only needs a motor then why doesn't this guy just do that stuff himself and keep it or resell for higher?

In the experience of the seasoned boat buyers here-is this typically a bunch of bull?

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2508317303.html

Thanks for your input.

Afzape

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Is this a sucker's deal?

I would ask a few questions. Such as...Did the new floor consist of just carpet or new stringers, wood and carpet? Was the transom redone or is it original? Its hard to tell until you get your hands on it and do some digging. heck at that price you could sell the trailer, controls, and such and get your money back though.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

The windshield is worth at least double what he wants for it. If what he said is a crock, you can still make some descent money parting it out. He says it's got a new floor (deck). That could mean a big bandaid was thrown over a rotted mess. It needs new seats. This probably means a complete restoration in addition to the motor. Sounds like a 250.00 boat will cost you at least 5,000.00. If you love the boat, and want a project, great. If your willing to take the time to part it out or do a little work and resell it, great. You never know, though, it actually could be a gem. Diamond in the rough, maybe... Check it out. For 250.00, you really can't lose.

Let us know how it works out; and please, post some pics...

corissamarie

Cadet

That's true, "new floor" could just mean new carpet depending on how honest this guy is. If nothing else, it does seem like if it wasn't easily repairable it would be at least worth something in in parts.
It's just so cheap I have to contemplate it and doubt it at the same time.

Thanks.

corissamarie

Cadet

Well, he says the boat floor was "new" when he bought it (he said it's the black plastic floor-not sure what that means) and he thinks the transom is the original. Translation... he doesn't know.

I wish I knew more about boats. It's only about 30 minutes from where I live, and if I knew how to assess the possibilities of this boat I'd take a look at it this weekend. I might still check it out and just try to use some yer tips and my own common sense.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Well, he says the boat floor was "new" when he bought it (he said it's the black plastic floor-not sure what that means) and he thinks the transom is the original. Translation... he doesn't know.

I wish I knew more about boats. It's only about 30 minutes from where I live, and if I knew how to assess the possibilities of this boat I'd take a look at it this weekend. I might still check it out and just try to use some yer tips and my own common sense.

Oof, granted we cant see inside, and me, being a lover of all things Glastron, thats gonna be a pretty tough project for a first time boat builder, although, the price is right and lord I wish I could find a deal like that 'round here... 'cause it would already be in my driveway :D but then again I have a powerplant for it, yargh, forgive me im rambling... But, bottom line, IF you have a couple $K to throw at this do it! The iboats community has yer back!

edit: I shouldnt be allowed to iboats at this hour... :D :facepalm:

One thing that wasn't mentioned, are you looking for a boat you can bolt an engine on and use, or are you looking for a project? If you're looking for a project boat this seems like a real good deal (I paid $1000 for my last project boat, but it was something I really wanted). If you're looking for a cheap boat that you can slap an engine on and go, then this may or may not work out.

However, as has already been mentioned, just the trailer is worth nearly the asking price, so it's really not much of a risk.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Definitely worth a look, but don't get your hopes up. As stated above, if you want a project, this could be a good candidate. If you want a turnkey, this may not be the best option. Another question - do you have a motor and controls to go on it? If not, have you looked into it and the costs associated? Remember, the sellers asking price is just a down payment on what's to come!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

250$, Thats a great deal and its a cool looking boat.

corissamarie

Cadet

I guess I see it like this. I would love to get a boat that is water ready, but I also am pretty hands on, and interested in a boat that needs some restoration.

So either would be great at this point. If I get a project boat, I've got the winter/fall to work on her, and then I can afford to put a few grand into it.

That fella also just told me that he has never had it in the water-but previous owner did.
Not very reassuring.
However, I think I might go see it next weekend. If nothing else it'll give me some practice looking and checking things out, and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

Any and all tips on what to look for on the trailer and boat for severe rot or any reasons it just wouldn't be worth even this paltry sum, are appreciated. If I do have to pull it home I don't feel like losing a trailer tire. Thanks ya'll.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Jack the trailer up and spin the wheels. If they rumble the bearings are bad and probably won't get you home. If they roll smooth, it will more than likely get you home :D

shrew

Lieutenant

I would suspect the boat has sat uncovered for a long time. I would bet there is more than just a soft floor that needs to be replaced. This looks like someone bought a boat that 'only needs a motor', then found out the floor was soft. Then pulled the floor and found more rot. They gave up, replaced the floor and now is asking someone for cash to take his trash out. This is just me, but there seem to be LOTS of these around and I don't see many that are diamonds in the rough.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Too bad you don't live closer! I have a 16 foot Glastron of the same vintage that I can't GIVE away. Neal knows what he has and the boat, while it is a Glastron and desirable to me, is basically junk, needing a complete restoration. Trailer is well rusted so you would expect to invest some money there.

All in all, unless you want to take on a project, walk away.

And by the way: The boat is the least desirable color for those years.