Soft spot

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got my first boat now I am going to fixing it up. There is a soft spot near the motor, looks like there is a crack where water is getting in, hope its not to bad. I will need some help on supplys as I go along, coming soon will be some pictures of the soft spot and when I chew into this thing. I have very little fiber glassing experience but am a fast learner. the boat is a 1976 17.5' sangster made in Vancouver b.c I am also putting a new motor in the boat thats the reason for the revamp. latter i want to paint it and make it look like new.

IMG_0715.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Soft spot

Definitely a cool looking hull worth fixing up. I wouldn't get my hopes up about it's structural condition though. Once you start tearing into these old glassers, you tend to only uncover pain, agony, and despair :p You can fix it though!

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys looking forward to see what is in there. I hope its not to bad but you are right ez, I seen alot of that on here fingers and toes crossed.

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

new for morgan 212.jpgnew for morgan 206.jpg Alright I am back to work on the boat, kinda got side tracked for a long time. The soft spot I need to fix is to the right of the motor. I did get lucky on this boat, the floor has been redone by the P O he said, in 93 he redid the whole thing. the spot that is soft is a rotten 2x4 that extends under the floor, in the pictures you can see the 2x4 that the motor is sitting on. So I am going to start by taking the old motor out and fixing the 2x4 then putting the 95 hp diesel that I am making payments on. so tomorow I am going to starts taking the motor out.
stuff to do.
-take old motor out
-cut up the floor
-fix the rotted wood
-fiber glass the hole
-sand it
-paint it
-paint the rest of the boat
-new gas tanks is in order
thats it for now not going to get ahead of myself

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well my motor in the boat now has low compression, and also is not safe at all. I went to a volvo shop and the mechanic says he has a diesel for two grand. so I was all over it put a down payment and one more five hundred dollar payment to go. The motor is a md21a 95hp I will have to get a different gear for my leg and she will be good to go. In other words I could not get a better deal for a motor that will bolt to my leg.

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

b oat 3.jpgboat 1.jpgboat 2.jpgboat 4.jpgboat 5.jpg
finally figured out how to get these photos up what pita.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is a really good looking boat you got there. I really like those lines. This is going to be a great project and can't wait to see it finished and splashed.

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

aq md21a yes pretty old one but from what people tell me a stong reliable motor. The motor has a upraded oil cooler, fresh water cooling system, new fuel filter and new oil filters. The best thing of all, the motor originaly came attached to a 270 outdrive I got pretty lucky that in my little town there was a hidden gem, and the mechanic is an awsome person for letting me make payments.

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boat launch.jpgfound a pic of the boat after its first cruise, and its puller.

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally the rain stoped today, got my old motor out getting ready to cut open the soft spot on my deck. I am dreading what is under the deck, but the transom is good, took my samples from around the key hole and drain hole and she is good. I will get some pictures of the progress tomorrow.