I have an addiction!!!

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just couldnt pass this up!!! I picked up this 15' Olympian for $60... Some fiberglass work and I will be fishing in no time. The Transom has some rot, but nothing I cant handle...

My wife almost had a heart attack. :)

I could use a few opinions though. The benches seem to be hollow with foam, Im thinking about cutting them out, reenforcing and pouring in new foam. Tab them back in and call her done. Im even considering pouring some git rot down inside the exposed transom and calling it good. I most likely wont have anything more than a 6 hp on her, maybe even just a 40lb trolling motor. This puppy is light I can flip her over by my self with no problems.

Anyway, how often do you come across a $60 boat that needs maybe $100 worth of work??

Attachments

• IMG-20110727-00240.jpg
    IMG-20110727-00240.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110727-00242.jpg
    IMG-20110727-00242.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110727-00241.jpg
    IMG-20110727-00241.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110727-00238.jpg
    IMG-20110727-00238.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110727-00239.jpg
    IMG-20110727-00239.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have an addiction!!!

Git Rot Is WORTHLESS for repairing a transom. In my Opinion. But if you are going to just be using a trolling motor you don't need to do ANYTHING

kfa4303

Banned

sweet find! you may want to do some reading here in the forums about pourable foam though. It seems to get mixed reviews. I would suggest pink/blue construction foam and/or swimming noodles from the dollar store. They're easy to work with, readily available, and pretty cheap. congrats again!

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, I'm jellous:( I got a 9.8 tohatsu sitting in my garage that would love to live on the back of something like that:)

Red

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a 12 footer something like that and had a blast with it. I found it abandoned. I think it was a sears brand and it was made of a solid molded foam core and a vacume molded inner and outer shell. I carefully took it apart, patched all the foam with some mods like wooden reinforcements and raising the bow then I glassed the whole thing and sparayed it with gel coat. I'll have to scan some pics of that some time. Not sure if that will work on yours or if you need to go that far but just wanted to share that with you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That could be a real sweet little boat. I wonder if there's any chance of separating the two halves on that thing. If there was, it would be super easy to make all the necessary repairs and transom replacement. Don't know, might be too well adhered together.

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I ran across a 67 3hp evinrude model 3706c for $30 right around the corner from me. Guy said it ran last year, and it comes with an additional parts motor. I think that would fit this puppy perfectly, and for $30 how can I go wrong?? Anyone with any experience with this motor please chime in.. I will check compression tomorrow before I buy.

Thanks..

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ez, no chance on any separation on this one the cap is molded to the hull. Anyway while grinding the bottom of the hull I managed to grind a hole. I dont even want to talk about what came out from in between the hull and what I guess you would call the deck. Anyway, i cleaned it all out and shot some foam in there and glassed it bace with several layers of 1.5csm , and 18oz roving. Dont get me wrong, Im not taken her to any boat shows... I just want to float and do some fishin/crabin in the sound.

kfa4303

Banned

$30!!!! and a parts motor!!! Heck yeah! Go for it. That will be perfect. Those little 3hp are plucky little motors and should be perfect. Direct drive too, so super simple. Might have to spend $50 max for a carb kit and tune up kit, then she'll be good to go. Congrats on all the great finds!

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I went to check on the motor, the whole one was siezed. Couldnt move the sucker period, owner was wondering why... If he were telling the truth regarding it running last year then sat in the shop, how could this motor just sieze up?? There was plenty of oil on the plugs indicating he was running it rich. Maybe he found out it was siezed prior to my arrival and tried squirting some lube in the holes.

I checked compression on the parts motor and both cylinders were right on 60 psi, they look to be interchangeable but I couldnt read the serial number plate on that parts motor. If they were compatable I may just go back, offer $20 and rebuild the parts motor??

Anyway, do any of you think the siezed motor is salvageable? I really just want to get on the water, not another project...

Opinions??