Tiny tires and Bearing protectors----A love story

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Just thought I'd post a positive experience.

Last week I was driving to Barnegat Bay. I was taking my 15 foot 1971 Glastron runabout with a 90 on the back. Total weight about 1400 pounds. So, before leaving I threw two spares in the truck bed because those 8 inch tires spin pretty fast on the highway and I don't trust them when loaded close to their maximum capacity. I topped off my bearing protectors because the seals do leak a bit and took off on the 100 mile trip. I kept it to 60 or less for a drama free ride. Halfway through I checked the hub temperature and it was good. I arrived at the bay with no problems. I topped off the protectors before launching the boat but forgot to unplug the lights and immediately blew both bulbs. (Alzheimers) No problem I just happened to be carrying my magnetic lights (plan "B". I carry spare bulbs but didn't feel like changing them)

Before leaving for home a couple of days later I again topped off the bearing protectors. The hubs ran just warm to the touch and I never needed to use the spares. I had an event and drama-free ride home. Not bad for bearings that are about 20 years old. (Good old American made Timkins, not made overseas like newer ones)

Ta-Da!

Next day I replaced the bulbs in the trailer lights. It's getting to be a PIA with the seals and I will probably replace them in the near future.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tiny tires and Bearing protectors----A love story

It kind of bowls you over that boats used to come with such small tires. Today, you'd be getting 14" tires on such a boat--12" at the least.

Yes, bearings will last a long time if you take care of them. I've read to expect packing the bearings every 12,000 miles. I've had bearing problems a couple of times--both of which were my own fault.

It never hurts to check the hub temperatures, and you can get an infrared thermometer @ Harborfreight.com cheap. Once an hour's driving is sufficient to check your trailer, however. If you're so concerned about your bearings, next time you pack them just get all new prepacked hubs in the 4 1/2 inch version--and switchover to 12" tires and new Bearing Buddies.