Nissan fuel hose question

Banoe

Seaman
I have a nissan 1999 5hp four stroke engine. The end of the fuel hose at the engine looks very similar to an OMC type fitting are they compatible?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan fuel hose question

No. Similar design, but different dimensions. That is a real frustration on the marine retailer's sales floor... 20 different kinds of fuel connectors, many of which look alike, and the customer who is "sure" that he sees his kind on the rack... only to find that it does not fit correctly. The proper end for all Tohatsu/Nissan 4-strokes is sold as "Female fuel connector - Engine side 8mm (5/16")" This is the connector that is installed on the fuel hose that connects to the motor. Fits all 4-stroke models. Part# 394702500M $15.52

Cap2nd1961

Cadet

Ok similar question here, will a Mercury fuel line to motor connection fit a 2009 nissan 9.8? Being that Tohatsu makes both nissan and mercury portables? I got it at west marine and it says, engine connector for 98 and newer mercury and yamaha, large two prong clip. The people working there are fairly clueless in regards to these connectors. You think the industry would standardize the damn connections. Could you imagine pulling into a gas station but having to leave caue the pump's nozzles wouldnt fit you car cause of the brand you happened to be driving? haha crazy..

pvanv

Admiral

You should really start a new thread. But...

Yes, the motor-side connector should fit, but the o-ring may or may not be a perfect match. If you bought the complete primer hose, the Tank-side connector is completely different. If you only need the motor connector, I would suggest you get the Factory part, Part# 394702500M $15.52, from any dealer, including me.

Why did you buy something that was clearly labeled for a different motor? you can probably return it if undamaged. The aftermarket hoses tend to be stiff, and have lower-quality connectors. They also tend to get very stiff after a little exposure to fuel and sun.

The Factory primer hose costs a little more, but has good ends, a decent primer bulb, and is made of soft, supple hose that lasts for years in the sun (even with E-10 fuels)... also... the newer ones are EPA rated as low permeability.

Just like a car, you can refuel any tank from any gas station. But don't necessarily expect the fuel line from your gas tank on your Scion to be the same as the one on a Chevy. Alternators don't always interchange between brands, either :)

Yes, it would simplify the world if there was 1 or 2 standard outboard connectors. But then Honda wouldn't get to charge what they do for their "special" connectors.

Cap2nd1961

Cadet

Long story longer... I had been given a free used 2 stroke 1990 2 stroke, however it was never taken car of and had been laying on its side for 6 years. Before I realized how bad the motor was, I bought a brand new tank and hose by moeller, for the johnson from west. Being that the free motor is basically inoperable, I bought a 2009 nissan 9.8 from a local shop. They did not have the hose, so all i need is the engine side connection. West marine here In Easton does not stock any Nissan/Tohatsu fuel line connectors. All I saw was mercury, which is made by Tohatsu. It was ten bucks for the part if it doesnt fit, Ill take it back. It would have been nice, if the shop had not misplaced/lost the factory hose. But Im getting the motor for a good price, low hours. Ill gladly order the part from you, though if this one doesnt fit. Do you have a shop front url link?

Thanks. Sorry for rebooting an old thread.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Yamaha, Mercury, Nissan, Tohatsu= Same four stk female engine end connector.

Cap2nd1961

Cadet

Thank you Mr Tohatsu Guru! I got the motor for 1100 and it doesnt have a scratch on it. Im looking forward to putting it on my 10-6 inflatable.

Cap2nd1961

Cadet

You should really start a new thread. But...

I did the search first and this came up. I didnt want to create a duplicate thread.

Yes, the motor-side connector should fit, but the o-ring may or may not be a perfect match. If you bought the complete primer hose, the Tank-side connector is completely different. If you only need the motor connector, I would suggest you get the Factory part, Part# 394702500M $15.52, from any dealer, including me.

I contacted Nissan Marine, this part will work just fine.

Why did you buy something that was clearly labeled for a different motor? you can probably return it if undamaged. The aftermarket hoses tend to be stiff, and have lower-quality connectors. They also tend to get very stiff after a little exposure to fuel and sun.

No nissan parts were available, however taking an educated guess that it would be the same for ten dollars its no big deal. And im a risk taker.. and saved five bucks too :)

The Factory primer hose costs a little more, but has good ends, a decent primer bulb, and is made of soft, supple hose that lasts for years in the sun (even with E-10 fuels)... also... the newer ones are EPA rated as low permeability.

I dont plan on putting it in the sun, when not in use. And from what I have read, there is nothing wrong with Moeller fuel lines.
Just like a car, you can refuel any tank from any gas station. But don't necessarily expect the fuel line from your gas tank on your Scion to be the same as the one on a Chevy. Alternators don't always interchange between brands, either :)

Well, the line going to the injectors or carbs is just a hose which fits over a male connector. Im not running nascar so I dont need any quick disconnect fuel line connector.

Yes, it would simplify the world if there was 1 or 2 standard outboard connectors. But then Honda wouldn't get to charge what they do for their "special" connectors.

Maybe they need to be petitioned, to fix this problem. Honda is just a "special" brand :)

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

I have a question. I have a nissan ns8 (blue and silver), the fuel line connector (on the engine), is a silver cylindrical style. I have a female fitting that worked on a newer nissan outboard but it is not fitting on the one on this motor, the diameter of the one on the motor is bigger than what fits into the female connector. Any one know what I need here?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

They use two different female connectors. There is one for the engine end and one for the tank end. They are not interchangable, so, you are trying to put one where the other would fit. Do you need the engine end female or the tank end female?

pvanv

Admiral

I have a question. I have a nissan ns8 (blue and silver), the fuel line connector (on the engine), is a silver cylindrical style. I have a female fitting that worked on a newer nissan outboard but it is not fitting on the one on this motor, the diameter of the one on the motor is bigger than what fits into the female connector. Any one know what I need here?

Just get a new primer hose, from any dealer, including me. Then you will have both ends (as Elvin noted, the tank end is different from the engine end), as well as the bulb.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

I need the female end that connects to the male end on the motor. I did not realize there were two different fittings for the fuel line hose, (where it connects to the tank, and where it connects to the motor). I must have the femal fitting for the end of the fuel line where it connects to the tank. Can you provide me a source for the fitting I need (at the motor side of the fuel line)

pvanv

Admiral

The reason for the 2 different connectors was/is to help "idiot proof" the primer hose, so someone doesn't connect it backwards, and attempt to prime the tank, instead of the engine. If you only want the connector, you would order FUEL CONNECTOR - ENGINE/FEMALE (5HP~90HP 2STR & TLDI) Part # 3B2702501M, $17.83, from any dealer, including me. You can drop me an email at the office: paul@obersheimersails.com, or call 716-877-8221 M-F 9-5 Eastern (winter hours), and we can help you.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

the only thing that is strange is that the connector I have fits onto my suzuki (1987) motor just fine. It looks like it has the same motor side connector as the nissan. strange

pvanv

Admiral

It's "the same, only different". :)