1981 115 horse BIG JOHNSON NO SPARK

Busternow

Recruit
I have a 1981 v4 Johnson with no fire on any plug. With the key switch on there is 12 volts at #4&5 terminals at the motor. WHATS UP?? crank senser? If so, how do I test it? Is it part of the stator? Motor appears to have a dual ignition system with two pulse packs. thanks a bunch for any 411.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 115 horse BIG JOHNSON NO SPARK

Disconnect the control box wire harness at the cowling. The big red plug. Jump start the starter and check for spark on each plugwire with the harness disconnected. Of you have spark during this test, the problem is in the wiring harness/key switch. If still no spark, it is in the ignition system on the engine. During your test, be careful-should the engine start, you have no key switch to turn it off.

Busternow

Recruit

Thank you very much, that information was very helpful. If you have a favorite spot to buy parts or a repair manual I"d like to know. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge. BUSTERNOW

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

For a factory manual you can try e-bay or google Ken Cook, he has reprints. Make sure you use your model number to get the correct manual.
Depending on what parts you need, you can get them here or there are several places on-line to get parts.