1976 Mercury 50 HP Switch Box Failure

sobgtp

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Hoping for some help, I have a 1976 50HP Merc that had a switch box that was only providing spark on two cylinders (Upper Two) when I got the motor. I purchased a brand new switch box and it fixed the problem. I now had spark on all cylinders, after a new impeller installation I took it out on the water. I had the boat out for around 30 minutes and everything was good, brought it back into dock and loaded it up on the trailer. I took the boat out the next day in hopes of having a day of fishing, the motor starts right up and I head out, when I attempted to open it up to full throttle I get no speed. I put the boat back on the trailer and tested the motor for spark and I am back to only having spark on two cylinders (Same two).

Did I just receive a flaky switch box or is there something else that could be causing the switch box to fail?

Also, the Gear/Throttle lever seems to have a lot of dead play, moving from neutral into forward there is not a lot of throttle given from 90 degrees (Neutral) to about 45 degrees. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at to fix this?

Thanks
Shawn