Mercruiser 470 Magnetos

Jilly - 5

Seaman
I'm looking at a used boat that has a pair of 470s (I/O). The seller advises that the magnetos are awry (not properly charging batteries) and recommends installing an alternator kit on the port engine (the power steering is on starboard).<br /><br />Q#1 - Are magnetos a reliable engine component? Worth repairing?<br />Q#2 - Are magnetos for battery charging only, or are they also involved with spark/ignition? <br />Q#3 - Is an alternator kit the way to go?<br />Q#4 - Do mags come easily off the end of the crank?<br />Q#5 - Are 470s readily serviceable? This pair is FWC.<br />Q#6 - Does a 470 pair require a synchronizer? <br />Q#7 - What is the hp of a 470?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 470 Magnetos

Those are not the best choice of motors.The package should be very discounted.Unless cheap enough,I would avoid these motors.The alternator kit is good advice.Just about every one of those motors needed that update.Original design was a poor one for charging system.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

By the way the hp is around 188 each and all were fwc .Charlie

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jilly...much has been discussed about these engines on this forum, search for "470", "3.7" or "3.7L". Here are a few sites to look at regarding the charging system and cam shaft driven water pump and cooling system and short answers to your questions.<br /><br />A. Charging System - designed with stator (magneto) and water cooled volt regulator, a poor system, easily converted.<br />B. Cam driven water pump - prone to bearing wear, once again, poor design requiring extraction of cam shaft to replace seals, probably a once in 6-8 year maintenance requirement, belt driven pump would have been far better.<br />C. All had closed cooling systems, early ones had 3" heat exchanger which was inadequate, replacement with the 4" model works well, but as with closed cooling systems that depend on the lower unit impeller for circulation, you'll need to properly maintain the rubber impeller. Ireplace every other year.<br /><br />This is good, talks about twin engine charging conversion with 3.7L:<br /> http://www.jimthompson.net/boating/Electronics/Voltage_regulator.htm <br /><br />Cam driven water pump issue and fix:<br /> http://www.sterndrives.com/470information/470coolantleakrepair.html <br /><br />Overall, the 470/3.7L is a torque monster and a mechanically reliable engine. Considering the cost to repower if you already own one (or two), it's well worth modifying to make the poorly designed systems better, particularly the charging and cooling systems. You can get great value if you knowingly are buying these, they run forever if you solve the cooling and charging issues. I've dealt with the cooling and charging for about $700, and only regret not converting the charging years ago.<br /><br />Answers to Q's<br /> <br />1. No, Yes, and do both engines. See other posts by doing search for places to buy conversion kits ($350 to $500 per engine). ( bought from eBasicpower and Breezeworks)<br />2. As with any regular (alternator)charging system thye serve double duty, but on a secondary basis by charging the battery. Not like the old motorcycle magnetos that often didn't have batteries.<br />3. Definitely, should have done mine years ago.<br />4. It is recommended that the stator and magnets inside harmonic balacer are removed, I did not remove in my conversion because of skepticism, only my regulator was bad. The only problem could be magnets detaching from inside the harmonic balancer falling off and affecting balance (but it does save a lot of time leaving the stator and magnet, avoiding remaoval of the balancer).<br />5. Yes, but sorry, don't know what FWC is<br />6. Do not know<br />7. Range of HP 165 to 190 depending on carburation.<br /><br />Helpful for schematics and replacement parts:<br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp

Jilly - 5

Seaman

Tell me, why should I take down magnetos from both engines and install alternators on each? Wouldn't it be sufficient to say disable the starboard mag (PS pump is on that engine) and put alternator just on port engine? Why a pair of alternators?

tommays

Admiral

it would give you the abilty to get home if eather engine failed out on the water <br /><br />tommays