Coolant coming our the exhaust aq125a/270

aq125a/270
After noticing that me coolant was empty and filling it I noticed it leaking out the exhaust. Where should I start.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Coolant coming our the exhaust aq125a/270

Heat exchanger insert.

Does this need to be fixed? Are there alternatives? It seems these cost big money to replace. Can I just run water in the closed loop side so the leak will not matter? I don't run in salt water.

Maclin

Admiral

Does this need to be fixed? Are there alternatives? It seems these cost big money to replace. Can I just run water in the closed loop side so the leak will not matter? I don't run in salt water.

The closed loop side needs to hold pressure in order for the temperature range to remain under the boiling point, that is one of the reasons for the radiator type cap. Also, you would have to keep adding water in that side anyway. If it gets too low and overheats then damage is done before you can get it shut down and cooled off. Talking warped head, gasket failure, potential water intrusion.

Ultimately up to you, but I would try to budget to get the exchanger fixed. They (good radiator shop) can inspect and pressure test it first to see if it is worth fixing. If not then, yes, next larger size bucks for a replacement unit.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The aluminum head will not deal with raw water, that is why it has a closed cooling system. You might try taking the insert out and taking it to your local radiator shop for testing and repair.