No sea water to Motor

I put muffs on the outdrive and turned the hose on. Started the engine but I'm not getting any water to the sea water pump. I am tempted to drop the boat in the river to see if it makes a difference. I took the hose off behind the engine and put my garden hose directly to it and got water to the pump no problem. Any sugestions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No sea water to Motor

What are we working on?

Don S

Did you plug the secondary pickup hole in the bottom of the drive? You should when running on muffs. Also make sure you have plenty of pressure and volume at the hose.

No I did not know there was one. I will have to get out my manual and find it. Thanks.

Don S

attachment.php

Attachments

• Volvo Secondary water pickup.png
    Volvo Secondary water pickup.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 0

Wait. I tried filling a rubbermaid container and dropping the leg into it covering the secondary and the side openings and still did not get water at the impeller. Seems like there are so many places for leaks in the tubes and hoses to get to the motor. But again would hose pressure from the muffs overcome the leaks? I did take the tube off the impeller pump and blow in it and the air went right through. So If its not blocked and the leg was under water then there must be an air leak into the intake at some point right?

Maclin

Admiral

Did you look at the impeller?

There are some spots for air leaks at the drive sections between the intake grate and the hose that goes thru the transom. In the lake those are covered up and even if they would leak out of the water the raw water pump can draw water on thru when just sitting or moving slowly (if the raw water pump is working--check impeller first). If those are leaking then it will lose water suction on plane and overheat quickly due to the reduced or non-existent water flow.

If in the tub the water does not cover the drive up past where the hose connects to the drive then you will have the same conditions as on plane.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same motor/drive and have an airleak on the outdrive. Muffs and buckets don't work for me either. BUT, I just disconnect the small (about 8" long) hose, that connects the copper water pump hose to the chrome outdrive hose, from the outdrive and stick the hose in there and clamp it down. It works great. Just don't turn up the water too high, and turn it off when the motor is off.

I found my leak by doing the opposite and hooking the hose to the chrome pipe side and back flushed the outdrive. It was easy to see where the water was leaking from. Luckily that spot is underwater in the lake and so it has no problems on the water, just in the driveway.

If I could just find a 1" flush tee to put in that hose, well that would be awesome.

ok i tried the sending the water down the leg trick and found a leak at the link just below the elbow. I took the whole leg off the boat. Seems to be in there pretty good. I'm trying to figure out how to seal it. it looks like there is a o ring in there but it looks too small in diamater so its leaking. I also have leaks at the junctions of the pipes to the water impellar pump. So i need those gaskets as well. I also am going to replace the bellows. I hope this works.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

The leak below the elbow, it sounds like the same bushing that was/is leaking on mine. #11 bushing under hose connection #28:
http://www.marinepowerservice.com/B...D=193326&parent_cat=451321&parent_cat1=451322

There are sealing rings under the flange: (#3) 831622 you need two.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Cool...*****.921941350--store_id.366--view_id.784504

Good luck with the drive unit, if you are successful I'd love to hear how you did it. I still need to repair mine, but I am not familiar with outdrives and figured I may just take it to the shop at the end of boating season.

lookup_parts_volvo4.cfm

Ok so my leak is between 1 and 9 on here. How does 23 come out? press? I think I want to reseal 11, 12, and 13. It looks like this is where the swivel is for the steering on the leg. The moving connection.

I so just want to put a hole in the bottom of the boat and run a direct line to it. Is this what an inboard boat would have?

Maclin

Admiral

I so just want to put a hole in the bottom of the boat and run a direct line to it. Is this what an inboard boat would have?

One word answer is Yes.

I have read about others who did this on a VolvoPenta boat for the same reasons you have. Research it thoroughly, obviously it is not just a hole in the bottom of the boat. It needs to be in a good spot, always in the water, so your hull design is a big factor. Also special fittings, and special fake-a-lake water attachments for running out of the water. Not to mention a hole in the bottom of the boat now :)