Complete Rebuild of 1972 StarCraft SS

L2attler

Cadet
1972 Starcraft SS Rebuild

16' with a 65 hp Mercury.

I bought the boat on 7/25 and began working immediately.
I will be posting pictures to track my progress.
My goal is to completely rebuild this boat from the ground up.

This is how I bought it.
HgIWn.jpg

This is the end of day 1. Took most of the bolt on items such as rod holders ect.
Ripped up part of the floor to find that the plywood underneath was untreated water logged and rotten.

Nyrunl.jpg

Day 2: Finished ripping out the interior. Had to drill out half the bolts necause the heads fell off the screws as I tried braking them loose. Took off windshields, steering wheel and the rest of the floor. Began cleaning the inside aluminum.

F5iphl.jpg

What has been done so far:

Boat has been stripped.
Old paint has been completely taken off to the bare aluminum.
Engine is off the boat, tested and in good condition.
Aluminum has been sanded, waiting to order the paint and that can begin.

In Progress:

Floors have been cut out, currently soaking them in teak oil.
Transom has been cut out, waiting to be treated.
Making a new dashboard, out of red oak and Poplar.
Plans for the side panels, designs are laid out.

Pictures will be posted in throughout the thread, as I get something done, I will post detailed pictures. If you have any questions, ask away.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Complete Rebuild of 1972 StarCraft SS

Welcome L2. You are in the right place for help on your SS. I'm still looking for my tinny, but the folks here are great. The Resto-Pros will take care of you and give you great advice.

You 're off to a good start. I can't officially enroll you in the Starmada since I'm not a member yet, I can say you are now addicted! You will be smelling Gluvit and Rustoleum in no time. If you get frustrated, sit on a box about where the helm will be and make motorboat sounds. I think it helps! I do it in front of my PC. LOL

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice! another SS in the fleet! Congrats and welcome. I think to be anointed one of the Four Fathers have to give the blessing. I'm pretty sure it'll be just a formality. Pics and all in the first post probably sealed it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow you didn't waste any time! Nice hull and good work on the tear out. Now would be a good time to apply Gluvit to all the rivets and seams from the inside. Good insurance against future leaks.

Paint is up to you. Good old Rustoleum works great on these boats, or you could step up to a two part marine paint. I'm a big fan of my marine vinyl floor http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2504.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm a BIG fan of Rustoleum paint, Especially if you use the Acrylic Enamel Hardener. Check out page #10 in my rebuild thread for the forumula and how to apply. For Tin Boats you MUST use Self Etching Primer and then I recommend two thin coats of Rustoleums Bare Metal Primer and then 2-3 three thin coats of the Finish Color Coat.

Check out this guys results.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309879&page=23

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome...WOW ...... you went straight to business :D. good luck.

L2attler

Cadet

Yeah, I definitely jumped in right away.
Fun fact: this is my first boat. This is my first time even working on a boat ( I'm 21 yrs old ) hopefully going to make this boat so it can last me for a good while.

As for the floors I am going to go with marine vinyl. Probably a light gray.

Huron Angler

Admiral

As for the floors I am going to go with marine vinyl. Probably a light gray.

Nautolex shark is a nice light grey marine vinyl. I used it on my SS and have been very happy with it. Very durable.

Welcome aboard L2:)

L2attler

Cadet

That's looking pretty good. Do most people use brushes/rollers or air brushes for aluminum boats? I was planning on just laying down thin coats with an air brush

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We're probably about 50/50 on rolled vs. sprayed.

showmecb

Seaman Apprentice

Nice boat, I have been following the starcraft projects for a while now and have yet to come up with any leads on a supersport. Hopefully my day is coming. I will be watching your progress closely.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Personally... If i could do mine again I would spray... more work up front... but I think it looks a little better in the end :D

L2attler

Cadet

Started stripping the paint. Original primer, red factory color, gold, and gray. I'm getting it down to the bare aluminum. Pictures coming tonight

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well look at that! Another Starcraft, welcome!

Like raining alum boats around here:)

L2attler

Cadet

2EMEG.jpg

Into the night. It is aluminum after all, just have to get through 5 layers of paint

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check out the link in my signature for a link on how to post your pics

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

man at your rate you'll be splashed and Ill still be applying my 2nd coat of epoxy :D. Well done sir... love the bare alum :D

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man you are just ATTACKING that paint. Your making us old timers look bad. Is that a steam cleaner, whats your process? Oh...Whats the cooler for?:D Is your secret weopen inside?

L2attler

Cadet

Im just using an industrial power washer. 240 degrees not sure the pressure, but safe to say it's alot.

And the cooler is for sitting have a herniated disk so it starts reminding me about itself. But the paint comes off pretty good except for sanded spots.