condenser

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class
i know i have asked a simple question or two, but it is because I do not know the answer, not to hear myself talk. Anyway, here is another. <br /><br />What is the purpose of the condenser in the distributer? What happens if it fails?<br /><br />Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: condenser

it helps control the arcing of the points when they open,without the cond. the points will quickly burn up .

tommays

Admiral

if you search condenser there is a loooooong post about it<br /><br />ill just say it keeps the points from arcing when they do there thing but 50 people are going to find something worng with that simple of and answere<br /><br />if it hafe fails your points will burn up fast if it goes bad all the way you wont get much if any spark <br /><br /><br />tommays

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

as the coil discharges it builds a "reverse" current. to prevent excessive arcing the condenser absorbs the excess and discharges it on the next point close cycle. the system is technically a DC system. however with a rapid cycle between )0 VDC and a positive VDC the electrons behave as if it were AC. capacitors(condeners) pass ac and block dc. the condenser is speced for the coil and the dweltime of the points

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just to add to the confusion, a condenser is nothing more than a Capacitor with an automotive name. The link below shows how this capacitor works and operates in the Kettering (points type) ignition.<br /><br /> Kettering Ignition

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it fails, no run. They are not easey to trouble shoot on the water. Buy 2, dirt cheap, and pick up at a marina the little screw that holds it down. Takes 1 minute to replace if you think it's your problem.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Just a little bit curious ... who has replaced just a condenser on a motor and have it run where it did not run before?How many times ?<br /><br />DHP

trog100

its similar to a flux capacitor.. if it fails u go back in time and it take an entire film (plus a few sequals) to return to where u started.. whoops<br /><br />trog100<br /><br />ps...DHPMARINE.. never.. they always get replaced just in case..

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sort of like getting a tune up and saving the old sparkplugs ... just in case ?<br /><br />DHP

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I have never seen just a condenser fail that caused the boat to not run. Even if it was bad and burned up the points it got replace when the points got replace anyway, so who knows for sure. Not sure anyone would even replace just a condenser to find out.<br />Guess everyone should tow an identical boat behind them, then they are sure to have one of everything that might fail. :p <br />Besides that, here in the real world there aren't many boaters out there that could troubleshoot and repair a non starting engine while on the water anyway. They usually get towed in and post here or some other forum to find out why they won't start.

Richard Petersen

Your right Don, In 50 years I only found 1 bad condenser. Swap method was the only proof. I have so little faith in modern boats and equipment that I am building my own, just to have REAL piece of mind :rolleyes:

Buttanic

I have had brand new condensers fail after only a few hours of running twice. If you replace one that is working with a new one I would keep the old one as a spare. At least you know the old one is good.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

My I/O boat will never be towed in for a points/condenser failure. If I had a 2 cylinder outboard then It may come in on the kicker.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by DHPMARINE:<br /> Just a little bit curious ... who has replaced just a condenser on a motor and have it run where it did not run before?How many times ?<br />DHP
A long and stupid time ago, I had a Harley that would start backfiring and running crummy shortly after new plugs. Were talking 20 miles. Points looked good. New set and still the same prob. Drove me nuts, and just carried some spare plugs. Old timer said to change the condenser too. I did and it ran fine after that. Another reason why I don't like things electrical! (and I listen to oldtimers all the time since then).

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Back in the mid '80's, Prestolite had a batch of imported condensers that caused all kinds of problems. The symptoms sounded just like a dirty carburetor. The motor would start and idle fine, but when you went to accelerate, it would bog down. The motor still ran smooth, no misfiring or anything, just no power. I replaced a lot of condensers back then. They didn't do it when new, just after they had been in service for a while.<br /><br />Also, like Robby posted, I was left stranded on the side of a rural road when the condenser failed on my '79 Harley Sportster. It was a few miles after filling up at an old gas station and I was thinking I had water in the fuel. The motor started and idled, but backfired, bucked, snorted, and ran terribly if you gave it throttle. Long story short, good samartans and luckily a nearby motorcycle shop in a barn helped me out, though it took a while to find out it was the condenser.

trog100

so its seems the new one u fit is more likely to be faulty than the old one u take off.. yep.. i would go for that..<br /><br />like many electrical things nowadays.. if they are gonna fail they fail pretty quickly.. if they dont do that they go on for ever.. <br /><br />trog100

DHPMARINE

Captain

seahorse,you jogged my memory pretty good. Bosch had a similar problem in the 70's.I don't know who else it affected,but I had several Fiats act up soon after a tuneup.First couple were hard to find,after that just replaced the condenser with another brand.<br /><br />I can only guess,but probably a poor internal ground to the outer casing.<br /><br />DHP