How does this happen?? Watch the video please. Johnson 225 Ocean Runner

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted a thread about my 225 Ocean Runner starving of fuel and stalling at low RPM's and slow cruise unless the fuel balls was pumped regularly. Have I found my issue here? It's on the port side of the motor connected by a "T" adapter to the fuel system and has wires going to it. There is a very small hole on the bottom of this component that was put there intentionally but now its shooting gas. The component turns freely clockwise and counter in it's place on the block as I move the fuel lines around. What could this part be??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDaxWscXXug

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: WTF??? How does this happen?? Watch the video please. Johnson 225 Ocean Runner

Re: WTF??? How does this happen?? Watch the video please. Johnson 225 Ocean Runner

what model you got there?

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gimme a sec, I'll let ya know..

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Model J225CXEDE Pick one!.....lol
Model J225CZEDE
Model J225PXEDE
Model J225STLEDE
Model J225TXEDE
Model J225TZEDE
Model SJ225CXEDE
Model SJ225PXEDE
Model SJ225SLEDE
Model SJ225TXEDE

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

J225txede....

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I kinda always smelled raw gas, but I didn;t know it was shooting into the engine compartment.. I have been driving a BOMB!!!!

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Model J225TXEDE

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like it could be part of yer VRO system.? Maybe one of the Jhonny/Rude pro's can take a look at this. I'll ask Davit, he mite know!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's a vacuum switch put into the fuel system to let you know if you have a fuel restriction by sounding your warning horn. Just replace it and you should be fine.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No fuel should be there, thats a vacuum switch. Sent a PM to Daviet, he should get back to you soon! Good luck and i wanna know what that is myself!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey boobie, should there be fuel present in that switch? Just sayin!

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i look at the video and at the parts list and it looks like the vacuum switch for me the part number is 586034

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i wonder to like monte normaly the is no fuel this the pulse port for the pump if this the case you have a bad pump to

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Monte, there is fuel there but there is a diaphram in it that tells you when you have over 4"Hg in the fuel system meaning a fuel restriction it will sound the warning horn. Cobbs switch has a ruptured diaphram causing it to leak.

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have never heard a warning sound, but the wires look white and brownish.. I am wondering why that's there?? If the fuel pressure gets to low is that what sounds an alarm? By the way, minus a possible bad vacuum switch or bad fuel pump, Is the thing with the red twist off cap, is that or is there a fuel pressure regulator?? It is above and forward of this leak..

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no the red thing with the cap on it is the choke

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gotcha... I went and rented a fuel pressure tester, why kind of pressure am I looking for out of this pump??

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How does this happen?? Watch the video please. Johnson 225 Ocean Runner

Cobb the fuel pressure sensor is not measureing pressure rather it is measuring vacuum, like boobie stated the diaphram is busted allowing gas to shoot thru the air relief hole.

You need a new sensor at the very least.

the diaphram separates the fuel from the switch side. Without the air relief/vent the diaphram would not be able to be sucked away from the switch.

You don't want gas touching an electric source other than spark plug.

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How does this happen?? Watch the video please. Johnson 225 Ocean Runner

The sensor wires fell out when I touched them, so i removed the part since it wasn't working anyways. Plugged the fuel line feeding the switch, fired the motor and it didn't stall itself out. Idled like a champ for 5 minutes. Now, since the switch wires were corroded and the part doesn't mount into the block, rather it's mounted on a bracket on the side of the block should I even bother replacing it? I wont miss it because it never worked anyways.