stalling putting in gear.

yomamaho

Seaman Apprentice
1998 mercruiser / alpha1. Replaced exhausts, starter, batteries and new impeller. started up, let it warm up a little and tried to put it in gear. It stalls every time. seems like the prop not catching right but not sure. never had this problem before. any ideas? thank you in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: stalling putting in gear.

and tried to put it in gear. It stalls every time. seems like the prop not catching right but not sure. never had this problem before. any ideas?

Ayuh,... My guess is, the lower shift cable needs replacin'....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

any chance you did this work because you overheated?

1998 mercruiser / alpha1. Replaced exhausts, starter, batteries and new impeller. started up, let it warm up a little and tried to put it in gear. It stalls every time. seems like the prop not catching right but not sure. never had this problem before. any ideas? thank you in advance.

Did you check to see if you had forward, reverse and neutral after the impeller change?

yomamaho

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I overheated. Elbow top rusted off / fell off and clogged her up. Did what work I thought needed to be done and fired up. Running cool to the touch. Did I melt the lower shift cable?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You probably melted the shift cable during the overheat and now it won't move right.

yomamaho

Seaman Apprentice

Let me also add that I love this place, the knowledge to be had from you guys on this forum is awesome. Thanks again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

run your hand down the shift cable near the exaust ,you will feel a flat spot where the cable passes near the tube

yomamaho

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like I'm going to change a lower shift cable. Any special things to watch for while doing this?