Mercury 115

opto55

Seaman
I have the chance to purchase an old boat with a 115 Merc. I was told if the motor has a distributor not to buy it as parts are not available. This motor is old and I do not know the date of manufacture. You have to mix oil in with the gas. Should I consider buying it or not? All comments welcome. Thank you.

joey pizza54

Recruit
Re: Mercury 115

Find the serial number plate its the last two numbers on the plate,i just checked a old motor in my garage its kinda by it self it will be (001764396 (the 96 is m date) otay and thats true old motors with dis tough to find happy boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Joey is incorrect about decoding a serial number on a Merc. The last year for the distributor ignition Merc IL6 was early 1979. if you can get the serial number you may look up the year at the maxrules.com website merc model guide. You might avoid Mercs from the 60s as those ign parts are hard to get.

New and rebuilt Ign parts are avail for the easly 70s distributor mercs. parts are expensive, but avail.

Slick Rick

Seaman Apprentice

Joey is incorrect about decoding a serial number on a Merc. The last year for the distributor ignition Merc IL6 was early 1979. if you can get the serial number you may look up the year at the maxrules.com website merc model guide. You might avoid Mercs from the 60s as those ign parts are hard to get.

New and rebuilt Ign parts are avail for the easly 70s distributor mercs. parts are expensive, but avail.

Thats good to know Chris... Sorry to steal the thread for just a second, but my motor, Serial # starting in 657 (which was located on the back bracket indicates a 84' I believe... but drawings don't match for that year. I'm thinking it might have been repowered or the titl brackets where replaced?

Just to get back on topic with the OP's original post, my (what I really think is a 72) 115 has bad wiring to say the least... and Ignition parts do seem to be quite high, but available like Chris said above.

-Rick

opto55

Seaman

So if the motor was made after 1979 and has no distributor I should be ok? Any other comments or suggestions welcome.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Parts are avail for distributor ignitions. Motors made after mid-1979 use a more modern ign system. Parts are more avail for these.

RMasters

Seaman

I have a 1965 Mercury. Never had an issue finding parts, so far needed a stator, rectifier and water pump.

Yes, it is "hard" to find (only old stock), but there are many rebuilders or alternate parts available.

Look at how much the motor will cost you, defenately have it checked out. If I total the hours I run my motor and the money I invested, it is a bargain.

Sure, you can't look inside the motor and even though someone tells you that the compression and everything else looks good right now, well, that's right now. There is always a risk.

And when you can hear it scream and feel perform, well, you will be glad that you got it..

There are companies out there which rebuild these old Mercury motors for less than what you pay for a comparable used one. Another option.

Ahoy!