First thread - Should I run?!?!

mrshake

Seaman
Hey Guys, this is my first post, I've been lurking for a while now.

Heres the deal, I've got 2 motorcycles and the urge for a boat.. so the CFO tells me I'd have to sell one bike to buy a boat. I agree thats not a bad idea (don't ride them both) and set off on the quest to sell the bike or trade for a boat. Its not been an easy road.. haha.

Anywho, I sent out a couple of emails to local craigslist posters of boats about a trade and got a response back on this one:

http://chambana.craigslist.org/bar/2511917052.html

The boat is about 45 minutes from me, easy drive, but I'm a little scared. He seems willing to trade for the motorcycle, sight unseen, ASAP.

I don't know... seems a little to urgent and willing to trade NOW for me.

AlmostFamous

Seaman
Re: First thread - Should I run?!?!

Im in Peoria. So familar with your area and the market. I dont know what kinda bike you have, but unless its a total POS. I would run away from this one IMO.

robert graham

Admiral

Just sell your bike, take the cash and go buy yourself a decent, later model boat/motor. That CL boat looks like the potential to be a real disaster, especially to someone new to boating!

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With a trade you haven no wiggle room on the price - it is all or nothing. I'd sell the bike and bu a boat, and not that one - looks like it needs a floor (stringer?) job

jh

YA THATS SEEMS WHY he wants to trade it so quickly becasue he knows something is going to happening to the boat soon so he wants to get rid of it. there will be more boat don't go for this one for a bike. you might not want a total gut project for your first boat.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats! Well, I gotta be the first to burst yer bubble. That deck looks rotten as all getout, obviously its hard to tell from the pics, I guess I should ask you, are you looking for a project? Because that looks like one, do u have 2-5k $ and a couple hundred man hours to spend on it? Remember you are under no obligation to trade him, but done some reading here, starting with friscoboaters sea ray thread, and if u look at it and its junk, just tell him no, and have a good day! Anywho :rolleyes: goodluck!

Edit: wth? We were all typing at the same time? I thought I was first! :D

lol ya i saw that after it went from 0 post to 4 with in 20 seconds.

Maclin

Admiral

"but I'm a little scared. He seems willing to trade for the motorcycle, sight unseen, ASAP."

You gave your own answer when quoting the seller's response of "...sight unseen, ASAP"...;)

Always best to sell for top dollar then go shopping with cash in hand.

Maclin

Admiral

Wow, I had my post prepared then got delayed for 15 minutes, there you have it...

mrshake

Seaman

There is no bursting my bubble... I'd already convinced myself this was a bad idea!! It is easy though, to get caught up in how long it takes to sell a motorcycle and start thinking about taking shady deals.

Your all right, I'm better off with cash in hand, baring a perfect deal coming through.

mrshake

Seaman

Oh, I guess, in the interest of full disclosure, here's the bike I'm selling:

93cf40ab.png

not that I'm trying to solicit here, but so you have an idea of the level of boat/bike we are in.

you could sell that around 8k am i right? sorry if thats real low and insulting i don't know much about bikes but ive seen some like this go for that. so what are you looking to get for it? i would think for that you could get a nice 18-22 center console or cuddy cabin. also what are you using the boat for? on a lake river bay, ocean, fishing, diving, cruiseing, weekender. that will determine the kind of boat you want and the price range.

mrshake

Seaman

you could sell that around 8k am i right? sorry if thats real low and insulting i don't know much about bikes but ive seen some like this go for that. so what are you looking to get for it? i would think for that you could get a nice 18-22 center console or cuddy cabin. also what are you using the boat for? on a lake river bay, ocean, fishing, diving, cruiseing, weekender. that will determine the kind of boat you want and the price range.

I WISH I could get 8k for it. Its a 76 Goldwing... books in perfect condition at 3700. I'm trying to get 2500.

What I'm really looking for in a boat is an open bow thats usable for both fishing and taking the family and friends out for a day on the river or lake.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I WISH I could get 8k for it. Its a 76 Goldwing... books in perfect condition at 3700. I'm trying to get 2500.

What I'm really looking for in a boat is an open bow thats usable for both fishing and taking the family and friends out for a day on the river or lake.

Yeah that boat isn't even close to the same class as the bike... In good condition that boat wouldn't be worth $1500. In its current condition its more or less worthless. Couple hundred bucks if the engine runs. My last tri-hull that I sold was of similar age, but 100% new flooring & marine vinyl flooring, redone seats, interior portions of the gunalls re-vinyled, etc.... Hull was in near perfect condition. I sold that for $1500.

For $2500 you can get a much newer runabout with a decent outboard behind it.

Here is an easy tip to shop for boats... Would you leave your motorcycle outside in the elements without even a tarp? If you see a boat that lives entirely outside, unprotected, full of leaves, RUN! They didn't care enough to even protect it, you can be pretty sure they did zero for maintenance.

any water sports other than fishing? a nice used bow rider would be good. you could get one or 2500 if you wanted a real nice one about 5k if you wanted real nice. one tip get a boat with a outboard for your first boat. lost easy to take care of.

mrshake

Seaman

any water sports other than fishing? a nice used bow rider would be good. you could get one or 2500 if you wanted a real nice one about 5k if you wanted real nice. one tip get a boat with a outboard for your first boat. lost easy to take care of.

maybe a little tubing, but nothing more than that. Probably 50/50 fishing and lake/river cruising

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How to read CL ads: "needs cleaned up a little" means this is a real piece of junk.

Gorgeous Honda. Hold out for at least 3K, then get yourself a ready to fish boat.

mrshake

Seaman

How to read CL ads: "needs cleaned up a little" means this is a real piece of junk.

Gorgeous Honda. Hold out for at least 3K, then get yourself a ready to fish boat.

I think 3k is pushing it.. the picture does make it look closer to showroom than it is. Engine is not as pretty as the paint. But she's a strong runner!

I'm learning patience with this adventure, I've been at it since May.. hahaha