What is the ACC circuit?

Deeder76

Recruit
I have a Carver 30' 1990 Santego. On the DC Panel there are two active circuits labeled ACC. I don't know what they do and I"m scared to turn them off. Does anyone know what these circuits belong to?

moi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What is the ACC circuit?

I'm going to guess they're two separate accessory circuits powering some of your "accessories".......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Turn them off and see what doesn't work. That is what switches and circuit breakers do (turn things on and off).

Deeder76

Recruit

Thank you for explaining for circuit breakers do. I had no idea.

I suppose I shouldn't expect any more courtesy in this forum than I get on the water.

But let me ask the question again (and I agree, it likely stands for accessories):

I don't know what the circuits power because nothing turns off then I power them down. Perhaps they are empty and open for expansion of the DC system. If anyone has this model's DC panel, and it would likely be used across many Carver models for that year, please let me know what they are used for.

jhebert

Ensign

The acronym or label "ACC" is sometimes used to mean accessories. The circuit breakers or switches on your electrical panel which are labeled as "ACC" are probably intended to feed branch circuits to which accessories can be connected whose load (in aggregate) will not exceed the current rating for that circuit.

It is impossible for a reader to know what exactly is connected to them on your boat. When boats leave their point of manufacture it is common for owners and users to modify the electrical power distribution on those boats in all sorts of ways. You will have to follow the wires coming from these circuits to see what might be attached to them.

Re the courtesy of previous replies as you commented:

"Thank you for explaining for circuit breakers do. I had no idea. I suppose I shouldn't expect any more courtesy in this forum than I get on the water."

You must understand that there is a phenomenon with boats which causes people who know absolutely nothing about electricity or wiring practices, and lack any experience in electric repair or diagnosis, to become empowered to work on the electrical systems of their own boats, and, because of this, it is common for people to ask questions without having any basic knowledge. There is something of an expectation that people asking for an explanation of electrical phenomenon are clueless, unless they demonstrate otherwise in their initial narrative.

As for asking for the definition of acronyms, I tend to use ACRONYMFINDER.COM to resolve unusual acronyms. For example,

http://www.acronymfinder.com/ACC.html

does show "accessory" as a possible meaning of the acronym "ACC."

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

welcome to iboats.

i would look under your dash and see if there is accualy wires hooked up. my boat has a switch labled wipers and another for acc niether have anything wired in. like "jhebert" said its impossible for any reader on here to possibly know what its hooked up to since theres only a million differnt accessories. back trace the wires or turn it on and off and see what happens.

i am not sure how many poeple have carvers on here so that second question may not be answered. although if i upgraded to a flybridge it would be a carver :)

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I betchya the are just spares.......and settle down

Deeder76

Recruit

I apologize that I was not clearer with my question and didn't present my credentials up front. As this is my first post, I am still learning. I have three degrees, two of them Master's, in computing, electrical engineering and IT.

I had previously guessed that ACC meant accessories, so my question really was not "What does the acronym ACC mean?"

But rather since the panel was wired as such from the factory, and the Santego was a very popular model, "Could another Santego owner simply state whether these circuits went to anything, or were simply spares?"

Perhaps their little bit of knowledge could save me from performing the obvious and tedious task of tracing the wires myself.

But if the general consensus on this forum is that ignorance of a topic is license for discourteousness, then I believe I am in the wrong place.

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

a "Jerk" is not always whats happing to the bait and hook in the water

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I apologize that I was not clearer with my question and didn't present my credentials up front. As this is my first post, I am still learning. I have three degrees, two of them Master's, in computing, electrical engineering and IT.

I had previously guessed that ACC meant accessories, so my question really was not "What does the acronym ACC mean?"

But rather since the panel was wired as such from the factory, and the Santego was a very popular model, "Could another Santego owner simply state whether these circuits went to anything, or were simply spares?"

Perhaps their little bit of knowledge could save me from performing the obvious and tedious task of tracing the wires myself.

But if the general consensus on this forum is that ignorance of a topic is license for discourteousness, then I believe I am in the wrong place.

Chances are good you aren't going to have someone with your same exact model boat breeze through this forum, and read this (maybe post this in the Carver section to see if you can get more bites). Like others have suggested, most boat manufacturers leave room for the end-users dreams and ambitions by leaving a couple of open circuits on the panel.

If it were me, I would flip them off and see what happens. Worst case is you have to relabel them "Float/Sink" ;)

ve3rpm

Seaman Apprentice

In a pinch, if it were me, I'd drop $30 bucks and get a tone generator and matching sniffer. Hook the transmitter to the breaker and wave the magic wand till you find where that annoying sound is strongest. Also, gotta lighten up... You are dealing with people you have never met, probably never will, but are still here trying to help you in spite of your credentials. I've got electrician, robotics, amateur radio, broadcast video/pro audio tech answering you and I still have to ask boat wiring questions. "Ya gotta know enough to know when you don't know enough". Truly no one was trying to belittle you. (Deep Breath)