Transom saver?

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
I AM SURE THIS IS A SENSITIVE SUBJECT BUT WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TRAILOR THE MOTOR? I HAVE HEARD USING THE METAL TRANSOM SAVER AND THEN I HAVE HEARD THE NEW PVC THING TO SUPPORT THE MOTOR , GOES FROM THE TILT SYSTEM TO THE INNER SIDE OF THE MOTOR. LOWER IT ON THE PVC AND IT SUPPORTS THE MOTOR. I WAS ALWAYS TAUGHT TO HAVE IT ON THE METAL TRANSOM SAVER. I ASK DUE TO NEEDING TO GET A NEW ONE FOR MY NEW TRAILER. I HAVE TO GET A LONGER ONE THAT HAS THAT 45 DEGREE BEND IN IT. ANY IDEAS? :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Transom saver?

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING??Please lose the caps lock.

I prefer a transom saver. It transfers shock to the trailer, not the transom.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I prefer a transom saver. It transfers shock to the trailer, not the transom.

How many trailers/boats come with a transom saver from the factory?

Transom savers transfer shock from the transom, which is designed to handle much higher forces, and instead side-load a part on the trailer, which is designed to handle zero force. (in that direction)

Another way to think of it... The forces on your transom while hitting moderate waves with a decent amount of throttle is many, many times more than what a couple bumps on the road will do. If you actually NEED a transom saver because the transom is that weak, the boat is not seaworthy, period.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING??

please accept my apologies i was at work and yet agani i dont remember to turn off the caps. i am not shouting but my computer programs require caps lock to operate. it is a very annoying thing and i am truely sorry. i just get use to seeing the caps at work and dont even notice. i will put this in my signature so i hopefully can avoid any issues.

Mi duckdown

Commander

TM don't worry about it.
Take everthing you read and decide for yourself. .02

JB

How many trailers/boats come with a transom saver from the factory?

Transom savers transfer shock from the transom, which is designed to handle much higher forces, and instead side-load a part on the trailer, which is designed to handle zero force. (in that direction)

Another way to think of it... The forces on your transom while hitting moderate waves with a decent amount of throttle is many, many times more than what a couple bumps on the road will do. If you actually NEED a transom saver because the transom is that weak, the boat is not seaworthy, period.

Wrong about the transom design, wrong about the trailer.

Good luck when a pothole rips the transom off your boat.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use transom saver my self. Here is my logic. If transom is truely stronge enough to take all the pot hole beating and transom saver is not needed, I'm only out $30. Now, why are we even wasting eletron to talk about $30????

robert graham

Admiral

Go with the Transom Saver...a 300 or 400+Lb. outboard motor just bouncing around on your transom can't really be a good thing! Plus it raises your motor skeg up for better clearance going over bumps or in and out of driveways....could save you a skeg or a prop! Good Luck!

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

See that ws my whole thinking on the setup. however this current trailer didnt lend itself to being ts friendly. I had no idea there were really ts designed for this setup i had only heard of them never seen them. Then I called a local dealer who chewed me out for owning a bayliner. Informed me that there are no worse a boat hull out there. So I just listened and hung up. Afterwards did much more searching everywhere and found a design on academys website called the local store and went and picked it up. Tried without success to hook it up last night. I need to drill a small hole for the mounting bolt to go through and didnt have the clearance last night. Have that remidied tonight. Had no idea i was going to get everyone so wrilled up on a simple question. everyone has valid points. I am just trying to prevent damage in the long run. Want to keep this new boat as nice as possible for as long as possible.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

We aren't talking about "saving the transom" - he's asking about transporting the motor. Leaving the engine down obviously risks dragging the skeg if there is insufficient road clearance. That means tilt the motor leaving it riding on the trim cylinders or tilting full up and using the tilt lock (if it has one), or using a transom saver. Perhaps the name "Transom Saver" should be changed to "Tilt Lock/Trim System Saver and Engine De-Flopperizer". When is the last time anyone saw a transom with motor attached laying on the road? I use one but primarily to stabilize the engine. Do that with or without a transom saver and the transom will not be bothered. Some use a block of wood but the next one of those I see in a rest stop will result in a serious conversation with me. Those blocks of wood fall out and cause damage to following vehicles. Ask me how I know.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I put one on 2 years ago and like it, keeps the motor from turning back and forth when going around corners which the motor tilt lock did not do. For that reason alone I'll keep using it.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

exactly what i was talking about silvertip i dont have a tilt lock or i would use it. i couldnt think of how to clarify what i was trying to say about what i was thinking and that is it exactly thank you again.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Silvertip, you may have ended this debate forever about transoms being saved. I'm going with Engine De-Flopperizer from now on because they definitively de floppperize the engine.

Kcsteve4

Cadet

FYI per Yamaha owners manual. DO NOT use trim lock for trailering. Only to be used to hold motor up when being worked on.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Silvertip, you may have ended this debate forever about transoms being saved. I'm going with Engine De-Flopperizer from now on because they definitively de floppperize the engine.

Well shucks -- looks like I accomplished something constructive today. Got chewed out once and thanked once. How good does it get.

GA_Boater

Will wonders never cease!!! :eek: I googled "engine De-flopperizer". The results:

Your search - engine De-flopperizer - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.
  • Try fewer keywords.
Silvertip - trademark "engine De-flopperizer" before some sleeze ball steals it from you.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Will wonders never cease!!! :eek: I googled "engine De-flopperizer". The results:

Your search - engine De-flopperizer - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.
  • Try fewer keywords.
Silvertip - trademark "engine De-flopperizer" before some sleeze ball steals it from you.

Nahhh! If I did that then I would feel obligated to Copyright all of the diagrams I have posted over on the Electrical Forum. Life's too short for that. Have many more important things to do. Like restocking my wine supply which happens to be #1 on the To Do list at the moment.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I am among those who believe they are unnecessary, and may cause more harm to the trailer and do little if any good to a seaworthy transom.

As for a middle ground--blocks, etc., that will stabilize the motor and not harm the trailer, fine, but they must be tied on so they can't fall off while driving. there are many easy and cheap ways to deflopperize a motor, and lave the trailer out of it.

All owner's manuals say not to trailer on the tilt bracket. They also say to use eye protection while operating a screwdriver.

I have been trailering for decades and asking on the internet for years: Are there any examples, even second hand, of a tilt bracket failing? Hearing none, I will continue to use mine for trailering.